Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Power connector
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Power connector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davebbrannigan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Power connector Reply with quote

I am trying to hardwire a supply for my Navman 520 and am having difficulty finding a connector that fits properly. There are many commercially available connectorsavailable but the outer diameter is typically 3.0mm with a 1.1mm internal diameter. From what I can gather the Navman uses a non standard 3.2 OD with an approximately 0.8mm ID. Has anyone had any luck sourcing such a connector, preferably a 90 degree version. I know that I need to regulate the 12V down to 5V also but that is not difficult. Finding the connector is proving the hardest part. I really dont want to buy another in car adapter only to cut the plug off! Question
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you need to be looking for a 2.1mm female power socket. RS Components stock them, if you are near to one of their trade counters they can be found for pennies.
larkshall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also get then from Maplin.

How do you intend to drop and regulate the input voltage
davebbrannigan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the whole shelf at Maplins before writing my first post. I found a connector that looked close but when I tried it it just was not close enough and had to be held to one side to get a connection. The original supplied connectors are 3.2mm outside diameter and I found that a 0.8mm drill bit will just fit snugly into the center connection so I think I am looking for a 0.8 x 3.2 and have so far proved very illusive. The maplin one was 3.0 and was too small so the RS 2.1mm is goind to be like a Di** in a shirtsleeve and just as useful!

I was going to use a 7805 regulator to supply the unit. It is rated at 1 amp with a suitable heatsink which is twice what my unit draws.
Dilemma
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck then. Just ask that you leave a post letting me know if it is true what they say about humble pie tasting sweet.
davebbrannigan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on the humble pie as I've not eaten it lately. Do you have an iCN520 and have you personally used a thrid party connector sucessfully with said unit? The size of connector you quoted simply does not fit my iCN520 so I wonder if you are basing your sizes on a different unit asuming the 520 to be the same?

The only other explanation is that Navman are using different components in the same unit which I doubt. Some plugs will go in the socket but fall straight back out as theyre too loose and others simply will not fit at all being too large OD. Perhaps you could quote the RS part number that you have used sucessfully and I can check the datasheet.

The only other thing I can think of is that the connector within the unit which makes conntact with the outer part of the plug is somehow Compressed and therefore not able to make contact with the smaller 2.1mm plug you suggested. If this be the case then I may need to have the unit exchanged. I don't want to open it to bend this contact back as it is brand new and under warranty.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: