Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviews - using larger vehicles
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviews - using larger vehicles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reviews - using larger vehicles Reply with quote

A lot of the discussion on the TomTom forum has been about the accuracy of TomTom 5 routing and how the removal of the 'road speed programming' contributed to this problem.

I guess it is true to say that if you are driving a car then almost any route will get you to the desired location BUT drivers of larger vehicles don't have that luxury.

Many of us would really like to know how each of the competitive suppliers of SatNav compare when routing for larger vehicles and one sugestion is that such analysis forms part of any future review into such products.

As a driver of an RV I am constantly horrified at the narrow lanes into which I am directed and would happily change to another supplier if I could be sure that it was better in that respect; the problem of course, is that without buying each one I cannot be sure.

I am aware that some products offer a 'vehicle type' choice option which , one might imagine , would chose a route more appropriate to trucks if TRUCKS are selected in that option , however, feedback from one user implies that the route doesn't change and all that happens is that the ETA changes - useful but not what is implied by the feature in my view.

I am also aware, from your visit to TeleAtlas earlier in the year, that TA maintain a database of 9 road types but it is clear that the SatNav vendors reduce that to a smaller number with the result , I suspect, that TA road categories are grouped and so Unnamed Roads are grouped with B roads (UK) for example and so the user can never expect to avoid such Unnamed roads at all.

My input therefore is that it would be really helpful if such consideration could be given in the review. If the product is good in this respect then let's hear it because I would happily change if I found a product which addressed this matter seriously.

Alternatively ( holding tongue firmly in cheek) if you want a reviewer to do a comparative review and you can negotiate a demo version out of all the suppliers then - I'm your man.

Roy - on behalf of drivers of Motor Caravans.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is something that has been discussed and something i think will happen as soon as the work load permits it hopefully before the end of the year or definatly before the next season starts

alot of caravan site are down rural narrow lanes so the routing may take the quckest or shortest.
to get what you want roy i think the map data would have to have width infomation for each and every road and youd have to be able to select a routing option for example do not use roads under 10ft wide come to the meeting in basingstoke and what you can answer you can get out of the mufactuers that are turning up

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix

I will certainly try and make the Basingstoke event. I was booked to come to Wales ( closer to home) but sadly my mother was taken ill that morning so we had to call off.

I will watch for the official announcement and list of companies attending.

Roy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: