Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac 168 + TT5 GPS SAT FIX PROBLEM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac 168 + TT5 GPS SAT FIX PROBLEM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spritemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Mitac 168 + TT5 GPS SAT FIX PROBLEM Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Im new to the GPS game and therefore a bit of a novice. I have recently purchased a second hand Mitac Mio 168, and have to say ive been very happy with it. However I have recently removed the SmartST navigation software it came with and installed TT5. It all went well until trying to get a satellite fix. In GPS Status Configure I have used "Other Cable NMEA GPS" then Baud rate 4800 then "Serial cable on SP2" and after scanning these forums have found that this is the correct setting to use. However after standing outside the house for over ten minutes waiting for a signal, it just says something like no GPS signal found. This setting appears to be right as it is the only setting which says this and not "No valid GPS device found". Am I missing something?? (ie a driver for the GPS device or something). I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Sad

Regards.

Darren.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the correct settings set for the gps, TT5 does take several mins to get a fix, if from the map window you tap the Bars bottom right, then tap the the smaller bars with the battery icon over the top you will get to the GPS Status window, if you see that the small round icon at top right is spinning then you have got it set right, the grey bars will turn blue when you have a fix(and the No Device will then say Other Cable NMEA GPS), in the map window the map will also turn to the normal colours when you have a fix and not the grey map.
spritemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much your advice was accurate, I now have it working :D . It took about 10 mins to get a first sat fix, and since has taken about 5 mins everytime to get a fix. This still seems a bit slow but its working!! Maybe this time would be improved with a more sensitive GPS device than the one built into the MIO 168!!!!!

With regards.

Darren.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mio 168 should get a fix in approx 1 minute. 5 Mins is slow unless you are on the move at the time.

Mine will get a fix within 90 seconds with antenna down & ppc in shirt breast pocket which is not the best place for 'seeing' the sky.

There is a firmware upgrade for older units. Mio says it only effects the very early Mio 168s and that it needs to be dealt with via a distributor (I think both hardware & software are updated.

Go to the Mi0 Europe site at http://www.mio-tech.be/ and search FAQs for antenna.
spritemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info LiveLifeGoJump

Incidently I have just used it on a 30 mile trip mainly on a fast A road and it lost the lock several times, usually picking it back up again fairly quickly. I have noticed that I appear to get only 2-3 satellite fixes, 5 at the very best. Is this poor as most posts Ive read on the subject say they get between 8-10 sats. I am currently using just the built in receiver and have thought about perhaps buying the external antenna.Anybody know if this makes a big difference?? I drive a Nissan Almera GTI 96-97 but not sure if it has a coated windscreen!!!

I have seen other post talking about the firmwear update for the Mio 168 but there does'nt seem to be any talk of it on mitacs site.

Does anybody know anything more about the update and whether it can be done DIY.

Regards.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen on the Mio site (which is not much) it is a hardware update as well so getting the parts for a DIY job would be difficult.

The FAQ can be found at http://www.mio-tech.be/support/faqs/index.php?action=search

This is the question & answer.

Q: Mio168: I came to know that new firmware for Mio168's GPS antenna is available. Where can ...

A: Content: Only very first Mio168 have a low sensitivity GPS module and will benefit from a firmware upgrade and a new high sensitivity GPS module.If you suspect you have a low ...

If yours is not one of thew arely one then it should be ok. Not sure how many sats. I pick up in my Almera GLX with Mio sideways but very few drop outs. Yes the external antenna improved reception, I use mine (came with the Mio) when out walking as the Mio is used it shirt breast pocket. Accuracy was greatly improved using Memory Map (prior to using external antenna it was upto 50 mtrs out in poor reception areas (near trees , in a valley etc.
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spritemonster wrote:
I am currently using just the built in receiver and have thought about perhaps buying the external antenna.Anybody know if this makes a big difference??

The external antenna can make a heck of a difference and is worth looking into in your case, before going for the firmware update, which might well be wrong for your mio. Have you checked how the integral antenna copes in another car, or on foot? It might give you a lead as to what to do next.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: