Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Emailing GPS data from PDA or mobile phone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Emailing GPS data from PDA or mobile phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGroo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Emailing GPS data from PDA or mobile phone Reply with quote

I am wanting to email GPS data from either a mobile phone or a PDA.

I need a flexible GPS receiver/software (I previously worked with the Garmin GPSMAP 76CS receiver which was excellent but sadly was stolen) and I normally export to text format via GPS Utility to microdegree accuracy (hddd.dddddd) in 3-d, which I use in my customised software to visualise.

It seems like I have a choice of either a mobile phone PDA, a GPS PDA, a GPS Mobile, all-in-one, and/ or a bluetooth receiver unit with some of the above. Oh, and a system that can easily interface with my Apple Mac?

The PDA option appeals because I may eventually want to write customised software for it, eg if it is possible to transmit GPS data live to be viewed on the internet in real-time?

What's the best way to go about it in terms of cost and matching my needs?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any "connected" device will do. Either the PDA has GSM/GPRS built in, or can connect to the web via a mobile phone.

Then you can write your own Pocket PC software that reads the GPS position from the receiver and posts is to your website in predefined intervals.

If you want to run your capture utility and a regular GPS program at the same time, invest in GPSGate - that one allows multiple applications to share a receiver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I fully understand what you are trying to do but .....

I have an Ipaq 6340, which is a combined PDA and Quad band phone - so is OK for sending emails via GPRS. It also has built in Wifi so you can send emails through any wireless hot spot. It runs TT5 very well. However it does not have a sat nav receiver and I use a bluetooth one in my car.

Alternatively the newer Ipaq 6515 also has a quad band phone and additionally has a built in sat nav receiver (and comes bundled with TT4) but does not have Wifi.

You can pick up the 6340 for less than £300 but then need the software and a receiver. The 6315 is about £425 ish (or was when I last looked)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: