Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Warning Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Warning Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwraith1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Speed Warning Help Reply with quote

Ive just got tomtom 5.10 for my pocket PC and ive managed to set up all the warnings for speed cameras but what i realy want is for it to alert me whenever I am speeding regardless off wether I am near a speed camera or not. Can anyone help me?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's much more difficult. For a start TomTom will have to know the speed limit in any particular area. And since they are changing so much how could it possibly do that?

Speed limits are mapped to some degree but nowhere near sufficiently to make it know the speed limit 100% of the time. Most of it's assumptions are just based upon the type of road and if it is in a built up area.

Until the mapping improves a lot then you'll have to settle for speeding based on speed camera sites.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing you can really do is to turn off the map display once you get above a certain speed ,under change pref ,i always have mine set to 80 mph
i have often thought about what you are asking and it would be a brill idea ,but like MarkHewitt said it would almost be impossible at thr moment
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navgion 5 does show a speed icon on the map for most UK main roads, but I still don't use it or that feature as the map display is always 3-4 seconds behind which is a real pain, but there is still no sound/voice warning even if you exceed the limit, the icon is displayed regardless of speed if available for the road you are on.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed Warning Help Reply with quote

dwraith1 wrote:
Ive just got tomtom 5.10 for my pocket PC and ive managed to set up all the warnings for speed cameras but what i realy want is for it to alert me whenever I am speeding regardless off wether I am near a speed camera or not. Can anyone help me?

The speed data for every road is not available and unlikely ever to be.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way is to store the speeds for known roads that you travel on, fit the car with a fly by wire throttle, gps and computer, that way you floor the accelerator and the car goes as fast as the computer allows, the one I have fitted to the Volvo is "home" built and works great, buts only as good as the data put in, it runs software I created using Labview and re-callibrates the wheel speed to gps speed when on flat and straight roads. It makes mot time interesting when they are confronted with 6,4" TFT, only legal if used for sat nav - so its ok for use, I use tt for nav and normally display memory map on the car screen - mike
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info. The prymenav equivalent has this function. though not guarenteed 100%, it honks a warning if you exceed the limit for that type of road. so Far in my experience its pretty accurate. I changed to Tomtom because prymnav does not support speed camera databases.

Shame you can't have both running simultaneaously.

Masrock
gacrane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I have manged to get something like this is to use GPS Speed Sentry. I have TT5 with POI Warner and GPS Speed Sentry all running at the same time. To get GPS Speed Sentry to work I use GPS Gate to split the GPS signal.
Then within GPS Speed sentry there are 6 user programable speed warning buttons so you can set which speed you want as you change roads it will then warn you when you go over this speed limit (It works the same way as the one that is in GPS assist). It can't tell when you change roads but it is the best I can think of at the moment.
I did write to the authors of POI Warner and asked if the would add this feature to their software and they said it was something they were looking at, but this kind of method will always need you to choose which speed to be warned of. Not sure if it exist anywhere else.

Hope this helps.
LiveLifeGoJump
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait a few years then all cars will be fitted with GPS type equipment for sat.nav, vehicle location, road toll/tax, automatic speed control according to the road limit, obstacle avoidance etc.etc. Thrown in for good measure will be police controlled braking (for stopping drivers who woun't stop), automatic door locking (to prevent car thieves escaping), fuel pump autopay (to stop drive offs), automatic traffic flow speed control (to stop rear end shunts) & horlicks makers to 'assist restful sleep' so drivers will wake refreshed after a long journey (because the computer/gps will have done all the driving).

Oh how I miss the good old day when the 'end of speed limit' really did mean END OF SPEED LIMIT & fitted seat belts were optional extras (but not the rack & pinion steering).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiveLifeGoJump wrote:
Oh how I miss the good old day when the 'end of speed limit' really did mean END OF SPEED LIMIT ).

Fully agree with these sentiments, but the next iteration of software for the Volvo will involve WIFI (which it already has to up load music (mp3)from home when sat outside the house for the night) with the ipaq-4700 running the speed control via wifi when running in the car, active speed limiter with touch controls on the PDA with no wires just the WIFI to comunicate back to the car - simple screen with the icons of each speed limit visable - tap it and the car will not exceed that value; XDA for navigation and phone calls, ipaq and on board PC with gps to sort out the rest.
One final point I have included the the "kick down" option in that two heavy thumps with the throttle disables the speed limit function should you need the power to get out of a situation. I hope to have the new software load ready for the car over the weekend so I might have some fun trying out the revised functionality next week -
Off topic in a big way, and some may ask why am I doing this -

The simple answer is that I can and I find the challenge somewhat interesting - harnessing GPS signals to work in a unique way to perform what you you want - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this techno, but how do you disable wife speak that comes from passenger seat CoPilot
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She doesn't normally say a great deal, her map reading skills are zero as proven on numerous ocasions, so as long as there are no speeding tickets I get away with it (hehe Wink she got one recently from a known location so no excuse - but it still cost me)
I have messed around with the active radar stuff but its way to costly and bulky to use in a car - had a great laugh at work when we TX the copper with the gun and he pulled me for doing 568MPH yep - a world record for Volvo - I think not - his kit was fooled into that speed - but it proves it can be done, illegal on the highway, I was on a private airfield - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: