Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed cameras in France
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed cameras in France
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toonblade
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras in France Reply with quote

Hi,
can anyone tell mewhere can i download the database for Fixed cameras in France Question
cheers

paul
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=14

but you will need to get a user name and password to access. My French is not to good but they have a standard version and a Plus version. The standard version downloads ok as two files - Fixed and Mobile.

Regards,

Steve
frank11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register at http://www.gpspassion.com

Then go to This page

Frank
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you can try - http://www.gpsandco.com/ - and see this - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=138776

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
graham385
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's still the case but I think it is illegal to use Camera detectors in France. May also be true for GPS systems. I read a report last year of a guy who had his equipment confiscated and a hefty fine for using one. 8O
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham385 wrote:
Not sure if it's still the case but I think it is illegal to use Camera detectors in France. May also be true for GPS systems. I read a report last year of a guy who had his equipment confiscated and a hefty fine for using one. 8O

Detectors are. A GPS based database isn't.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
toonblade
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers all
very much appreciated Laughing

on the subject of illegal GPS in france, i know for certain that it isn't illegal to use GPS (they sell them over here in the supermarkets etc) but it IS illegal to use the detectors! a friend of mine had his built in, factory fitted gps RIPPED OUT by a friendly policeman in Orlean and got a 750euro fine for his trouble! (currently taking them to court)

Word of warning to anyone driving here in france, the police re getting very sly in where they wait for you, i was caught by a copper hiding in a forest! he called his mate 5kms away to stop me (10kms over limit, 45euro spot fine) and this was the case with each english car that was passing, i never got any evidence of my speed from him either. Just got told to pay or suffer! but in general the french aren't too bad :-)

cheers again
paul
Tricky2005
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
He says the French police are very strict on the 45k speed limit and the 110kph in the rain on the motorways, ......

How do they determine the rain thing. Is it classified as falling rain or when the road is wet?
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
My French friend assures me that any equipment warning of speed cameras/traps in France is illegal, you could receive a heavy fine and your equipment destroyed. Although I suppose they have to catch you first.

I am intrigued by this - I can't find anything on any of the driving in France websites about this prohibition. Indeed, there are French sites with very detailed databases and maps of where the cameras are located. Surely they don't wanto you constantly consultign map as you drive along?

Bearing in mind the criteria for placing cameras in France are - accident blackspot where speeding is a contributing factor and where normal enforcement methods are inappropriate - it would seem strange if they didn't want you to slow down! Next they will be ripping the speedometers out on the basis that you used it to avoid speeding in an accident blackspot!
mol2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toonblade wrote:
cheers all

Word of warning to anyone driving here in france, the police re getting very sly in where they wait for you, i was caught by a copper hiding in a forest! he called his mate 5kms away to stop me (10kms over limit, 45euro spot fine) and this was the case with each english car that was passing, i never got any evidence of my speed from him either. Just got told to pay or suffer! but in general the french aren't too bad :-)

cheers again
paul

Always insist on paying the fine by credit card - it avoids the cash going in the back pocket of the policeman. They will try and say you cannot do this but stand your ground. Usually the hassle of issuing a ticket for no personal gain becomes relevent!

I'm not even sure you are obliged to pay on the spot.
ROBBINS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having recently returned from a holiday in France with a motorhome, I would give two warnings:-
We spotted the Gendarme hiding behind a motorway concrete column with a speed gun and pulling in motorists about two miles further on.
At the pay booth on toll motorways, the gendarme were watching to make sure seat belts were on. In a motor home the passenger needs to unclip his/her seat belt to lean out of the window to obtain the ticket before proceeding. Make sure that the seat belt is refastened before moving off. We were warned of this, and had the Gendarme watch us to make sure the wife was belted up before moving.

Robbins
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border_Collie wrote:
They DO want you to use your speedometer to make sure you do not exceed the indicated speed limits.

Personaly. I have found the speed readout in TT far better than the speed indicated by my Ford Speedo. As for removing the speed signs - why not - parking, box junctions etc are enforced in London without any clear markings on the road.

Still looking for the hard info on legality of POI info in TT when used in France.
Tommy3090
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove about 700 miles in France this year, got my camera database from
http://www.gpspassion.com/
Only came across 3 fixed cameras, good accuracy of the database, they don't paint them yellow ..... yet!

Less stressful then driving in Blighty Smile

Stuart
Western Europe map version v895.4453
PGPSW Camera Alert
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly drive from Calais ot Belgium and the only camera I have come across is the one on the approach to the ferry terminal which is probably aimed at people who do stupid things to try and catch that ferry they have just missed.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian,

Keep an eye open for the motorcycle police at Jabbecke; they work out of the police station near the Ostend turn off and have their mobile office parked in the service area. They have a habit of pulling in non-Belgian registered cars only.

Then there are the unmarked BMWs that park in the central reservation with cameras in their windscreens.

Unfortunately neither show up on TomTom!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: