Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What to buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What to buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foofaroo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: What to buy? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm new to all this gps stuff although i'm pretty proficient on pcs. Basically my girlfriend has decided she wants to a gps system after borrowing one off a friend and expects me too know exactly what system too get. She's not bothered about getting a pda but it seems to offer much more functionality for a similar price in my opinion. Anyway I was hoping to get the advise of all you gurus. Basically we have £400 to buy everything PDA, software, gps reciever etc (this could be stretched if it would result in significant improvements. What would you buy?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i preferre a pda as the if she doesnt like the software you get you could try an different software house is it just navigation she wants and have you though about something like the Tmobile sda or orange spvc500 for either copilot or tomtom medion etc or nokia 7610 etc for tomtom or navicore as a smaller more usable option

navicore i havent tried yet nudge nudge Laughing Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice - get yourself down Halfords or PC World and ask to look at the various software (tomtom, navman, co-pilot etc). The software for each system will be pretty much the same whichever hardware you are using it on. Have a good play and decide which you prefer - try not to listen to anything the shop assistant says, chances are he/she hasn't got a clue what they're talking about. Think about map coverage - are you happy with just UK or do you want Europe too? As far as PDA/Dedicated unit is concerned its basically a trade off between flexibility with a PDA and ease of set-up of a dedicated unit. Whatever you do though, avoid buying in the high street. Shop around with the internet retailers - if you go the PDA route many of them sell the whole thing as a package and may set it up for you. Make sure you look at the retailers forum on this site.

Good luck
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to look out for:

If you don't like the software on the PDA then you can change it for some other brand (though you will pay at least £100 for the software).

PDAs are very flexible so you can run a variety of programs but more complex. All-in-one systems just switch on and go. If your missus is like mine then her eyes will glaze over when you have to explain how to rebond your PDA with the bluetooth GPS because it has lost contact for some reason. I prefer the all-in-one systems.

Check to see if you are getting Full European maps or UK only. Check the price of upgrading to full European coverage if this is important to you. Once you get a GPS you will want to use it on your holidays too.

Not all satnav systems support Speed Camera alerts, if this is important to you then you should make sure the system you get can do this.

Get down to your local PC world and have a tinker and see what takes your fancy. I wouldn't buy one from PCW though, check out the advertisers on this site - they will probably give you a much better price. Don't trust anything that the muppets at PCW say either.

Don't expect miracles from the sat nav system, they all have their quirks. The maps WILL have errors in them. Sometimes it will tell you to do strange things like drive down a one-way street the wrong way or take a turn which doesn't exist.

Your missus will love it, no more map reading. Wink :D
revdarkwing
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In May I purchased the Garmin iQue M5 which is a PDA with a built in flip up GPS receiver. I am going to write more in a separate post but here is what I like about it.
1. I appreciate the flip up GPS receiver. It makes pedestrian use quite simple.
2. It comes with the complete European map unlock so you simply load the portions of the maps you need for your journey and you are good to go.
3. The primary reason I chose it is that Garmin supports third party map makers and, as such, I can purchase maps for the newer EU members and even some non-member countries such as Slovakia. Depending on your travel plans, this can be quite helpful, if not a little expensive.

The system itself works well and you can buy an edition that comes complete with a winshield holder that plugs into the cigarette lighter and increases the volume of the unit to a level where you can hear it over the stereo, if not tooooo loud.

I took a long time deciding but think I made the right choice for my personal needs, which included travel out of the 16 or so countries included in the basic package.

Consider first, all your intended uses, such as auto pedestrian or bicycling to determine if the flip up GPS unit is desirable or not. That will help you narrow down your logical choices.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxi wrote:
My advice - get yourself down xxxxxx or PC World
Good luck

My own experience of 'getting myself down to PC World':
Last year I went into PC World in Taunton to look at the the range of GPS kit. After standing around for a while, (and the shop was almost empty except my wife and me), I eventually managed to get someone to see to me.

He would not even open the box to let me see what the hardware looked like - he kept pointing to the picture on the box. He certainly would not 'fire' up the machine. When I explained that I will not shell out my hard earned cash without physically seeing the kit, he was quite rude to me.

Trying to complain about the poor service and rudeness was a waste of time - you get put through to a central 'complaints' dept who don't even take your details for follow up....
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: What to buy? Reply with quote

Foofaroo wrote:
Hi,
What would you buy?

Greetings Foofaroo

Giving advice on specifics is contentious. However you have to concider the various factors...

I am going to leave it to others who are more experienced, to answer in depth on specific choices.

Choosing a GPS system is almost as bad as choosing a new mobile phone. Almost! There is a lot of choice available

However the choice initially can be broken doen into two groups; Dedicated unit to GPS and GPS only or a PDA that is a procket computer that will run GPS software.

Pros/cons of Dedicated versus PDA (as I see it-others may disagree)

Dedicated unit:
Pro: Easy to install and set up. Almost a 'fit and forget' system. Basically only one item to buy.
Con: Only is a GPS system. Doesn't have the versatility of a 'Personal Data Assistant' which now-a-days is a proper computer that fits in the pocket (PPC)

PDA (PPC) version:
Pros: will be as useful as a dedicated unit with no degradation in facilities or performance. If anything it could out perform and have more facilities because of absolute users choice on the different software and hardware available. There are also more third party plug-ins available
Apart from being a very goo GPS system, a PPC versionis exactly that, A Pocket Computer.
It will synchronise with you main PC for address books, wordprocessors, spreadsheets, databases etc etc. You also get a darn good MP3 player, pocket recorder, photo viewer et al! When it's finished doingthe gps bit, you slip it in your pocket and have all your personal data at your finger tip.

Cons:
You need 4 bits of kit to choose:
a) The software (Tom Tom or other)
b) A PPC (PDA)
c) A GPS Receiver
d) A car mounting unit

Some PDAs come with a built in GPS receiver (See the MIO 186 or is it a MIO 168)
Some car mounting kits come with a built in GPS receiver too.

The PPC system requires a wee bit more effort to setup. In my opinion the small extra effort far outweighs the benefits and advantages. My benefits or example:

I have 12 hours of classical music to listen to on my pda (The amount is only limited on how much memory you buy)…
I have over 500 names and addresses, fully categorised, in my address book…
I have a full book (A play) to read together with the same book in audio so that I can listen and learn at any time of my choosing…
I use the Appointment calendar extensively – never missed and appointment or event in the last 3 years since I became a PPC addict…
I use the built in calculator a lot ‘coz my maths are not too good.
The ‘To Do’ list is a constant reminder…
I can scribble quick notes – yes, scribble in my own unreadable scrawl…
As a keen digi-photographer, I can slide my camera memory into my PPC and preview the pics on a bigger screen than my camera…
Etc etc etc……

I hope that I have not thrown too much confusion into the ring but given you some food for thought. Basically the first decision you need to make is Dedicated or PPC.

Given the choice of starting over again, I would undoubtedly choose the PPC route to the solution. The difference in costs is marginal.

If others disagree with that, speak up now, or forever hold thy peace!

What ever your choice, you will find much help in his forum. I wish you well with your endeavours
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald wrote:
Maxi wrote:
My advice - get yourself down xxxxxx or PC World
Good luck

My own experience of 'getting myself down to PC World':
Last year I went into PC World in Taunton to look at the the range of GPS kit. After standing around for a while, (and the shop was almost empty except my wife and me), I eventually managed to get someone to see to me.

He would not even open the box to let me see what the hardware looked like - he kept pointing to the picture on the box. He certainly would not 'fire' up the machine. When I explained that I will not shell out my hard earned cash without physically seeing the kit, he was quite rude to me.

Trying to complain about the poor service and rudeness was a waste of time - you get put through to a central 'complaints' dept who don't even take your details for follow up....

I was really just trying to point out the importance of 'having a little play' with the software before you buy. It doesn't have to be PCWorld - plenty of electrical stores now sell GPS systems, and Halfords always has a few units you can play with. I suspect their lack of enthuasiasm about showing it to you is down to their lack of knowledge on how to use it - I'd just ask if I can have a look by myself.
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxi wrote:

I was really just trying to point out the importance of 'having a little play' with the software before you buy.

Please accept my apologies if you took my comments as a dig at you - far from it and I am sorry if it was read that way. It was meant as a dig against PC World and the way they appear to treat potential customers.

To reinforce your point, because PC World did not show me the kit, i did not have the pooprtunity to seriously look for some time later. Infact it was a pal who showed me his TT2 that I became bitten....

It really is important to see the goods and the s/w before investing hard earned cash...
Foofaroo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all your help, I will definitely have to take her to a shop and see what she likes best. One last thing do TomTom Go300 and Go500 run the same version of tomtom? As far as I can see the go500 only offers bluetooth handsfree phone kit over go300, am I right?
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will your girlfriend want one that dispays the map upside down. :-)
Maxi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald wrote:
Maxi wrote:

I was really just trying to point out the importance of 'having a little play' with the software before you buy.

Please accept my apologies if you took my comments as a dig at you - far from it and I am sorry if it was read that way. It was meant as a dig against PC World and the way they appear to treat potential customers.

No offence taken at all! Thumbs Up

Foofaroo wrote:
One last thing do TomTom Go300 and Go500 run the same version of tomtom?

Yes Foofaroo - there is only 1 version of the Tomtom software.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is only one version of tomtom ie tt5 on release at the moment but this is broken down into 4 or so subcatorgories in pocket pc, palm, symbin series 60 and 80 for nokia mobile phones, windows smartphone ie orange spvc500 t mobile sda, and uiq for sony erricson p910i also there is the go version
On each of the above the user interface is the same virtually so cross use is easy

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caravanj wrote:
Will your girlfriend want one that dispays the map upside down. :-)

Yeah, it needs a girlfriend mode so that when it wants you to turn right, it should say "Turn Left! No, not that way, the other left. Arrrgh, you know what I mean - the one on the right." 8O Laughing
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could blame that on the hormones! I swear that Jane has hormone problems. That's what my other half reckons and she's the expert........
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: