Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Parking / Laser detector
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Parking / Laser detector

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Parking / Laser detector Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Parking & Laser detector such as http://www.speedsafe.co.uk/product.php?id=171

Would appear to be a usefull addition for the gps database, and be more reliable than dashboard devices
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had a look at it and read the gumph and it looks good.

I think the parking sensors is a nice touch as I have just had a bill for a paint job to the back of my car (£297.00) for backing into a flippin lampost Embarassed during a three point turn.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's specifically tuned to 904Nm which is the wavelength of a Laser Gun then it's a waste of money.

Of all the systems I have tested so far, Drive-Smart's optional external laser detector is the only one that actually detects laser effectively.
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read the info on drivesmart.

AIUI the reason why number of dashboard devices are less effective is due to the location on the dashboard, which the laser is pointed low down on the car. The drivesmart detects the signal due to the location of the sensor.wh

No doubt others can look into tuned / vs non tuned devices as you suggest.

The thing that worries me with the drivesmart is the info on the additional jammer device.

I have read previously, of a case where the plod turned up early one morning and took a vehicle away on a low loader. Apparantly due to the fact that a speed reading could not be obtained. If a reading cannot be obtained the registration number is flagged. If a reading cannot be acheived again, then a visit is made and the vehicle examined.

This appears to need further research.

PDA users dont really need another GPS based solution, therefore an additional standalone laser detector seems a ideal product. (I am aware than the drivesmart can be used as a gps receiver)
Petekk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just doing some research on this, and find a post by Darren regarding the action taken with laser jammers.

The Drivesmart is a laser detector (i.e which the governement wishes to ban), and the jammer is likely to cause a visit from the law - even if you avoid a ticket.

Whilst the Drivesmart may be a technically advanced device, I suspect that the product may be very short lived.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you could of course use that as your defence if you choose but you'd still be facing a prosecution. If you're flagged as having passed a speed check where they couldn't get a lock your VRN is logges and added to PNC. If your number comes up again then you can expect a visit from Police and a vehicle inspection.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole area is admittedly very confused. The Road Safety Bill which sought to outlaw 'active detection' which includes the use of laser and radar detectors never made it before parliament was dissolved.

There is not currently any information on if or when this will be resurrected.

If it is then it would conceivably allow a grace period before devices became prohibited and even were it to heard soon and proceed through to law without hindrance it could be two years before it was in force.

The laser jammer subject is again similarly confused. There appears to be a lot of rumour surrounding these devices. I have quoted alleged action in this area but subsequent attempts to verify the stories have failed. There have been NO convictions for the use of such devices to date. Whilst a driver could face a charge for perverting the course of justice it is by no means a clear cut case and the CPS have not yet decided that this would be worthwhile pursuing.

All clear as mud sadly, my advice? Use a good database and drive responsibly.
DriveSmart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petekk wrote:
Just doing some research on this, and find a post by Darren regarding the action taken with laser jammers.

The Drivesmart is a laser detector (i.e which the governement wishes to ban), and the jammer is likely to cause a visit from the law - even if you avoid a ticket.

Whilst the Drivesmart may be a technically advanced device, I suspect that the product may be very short lived.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you could of course use that as your defence if you choose but you'd still be facing a prosecution. If you're flagged as having passed a speed check where they couldn't get a lock your VRN is logges and added to PNC. If your number comes up again then you can expect a visit from Police and a vehicle inspection.

The Drivesmart system and also the other products we are developing are not short lived systems by any means.
What we have done is to show people how technology should be designed and implemented and also to demonstrate it works well.
So many heavily marketed products on the market fall short of delivering what they are ment to and do not meet customers expectations.
If you look at Snooper and Road angel for example their products are stale and have not evolved at all over the past 3 years,All they have done is to repackage/merge the products but without developing anything new or interesting.
All they are interested in is the £50 a year subscription charges.They could not care a less about the customer.
The internal pulse laser detector system can be switched off through the menu system as well. :D
The government is 12 months+ away from even trying to push anything through.
Lots of scare mongering around the net regarding diffusers,I have yet to find an actual prosecution for using such a device anywhere.
Our new products that we have under development will excite the whole GPS community and we will be showing Darren prototypes real soon and giving him exclusive information for the site. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: