Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom: Buy new voices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom: Buy new voices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkBooth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: TomTom: Buy new voices Reply with quote

I've repeatedly tried to purchase a couple of premium voices for TomTom Navigator 5 via TomTom's web site but I'm not able to finish the transaction. I log in with my ID, got to the TomTom Plus section, select the premium voices, put them in the cart, verify my device ID, and then I click to go to checkout. But the very next screen doesn't have any button to check out. No "cart" link or any other way to input my credit card info, etc.

I noticed that the prices for the premium voices are in pounds. Is TomTom not set up to sell to the US customer via their web site?

Has anyone ever had success buying premium voices from TomTom's site?

Mark
julianbarker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pounds? Eveything I have seen on the UK side of the TomTom site is priced in Euros. The US side just seems to say "Available soon" for everything.
MarkBooth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! My mistake. Of course, I meant Euros, not Pounds.

I sent an E-mail to TomTom product support to ask about buying the voices. Hopefully, they'll get back to me within the week.

I was just curious if ANYONE has ever successfully purchased premium voices via TomTom's site? Maybe it only works in Europe?

Mark
MarkBooth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify my original post. I am able to take the steps to put the Premium Voices in my Shopping Cart at TomTom's site. But, once that's done, there is not link or option to actually checkout or complete the purchase. I can't find a "View Shopping Cart" link or anything similar ANYWHERE.

I have to say that TomTom's site is annoyingly difficult to navigate. Pretty sad for a company that sells navigation software.

Mark
ssahnan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am having the same damn issue, there just is no stinkin checkout button anywhere....
Rabdo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssahnan wrote:
i am having the same damn issue, there just is no stinkin checkout button anywhere....

Not sure if this helps but I am in UK and was having the same problems. Turned out it was a problem with the firefox browser I was using - tried buying with internet explorer and all was fine. I think there may be a problem with the tomtom site with some browsers.

rabdo
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just about to suggest that, try it with IE if your using FF. Plenty of happy buyers so it works for some!

FWIW, I've always found most of the voices fun for a few minutes and then plain irritating but John Cleese is better, he keeps the quips to himself most of the time and it works.
alan_m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssahnan wrote:

You may find it is a cookies/firewall issue. I am unable to go very far on the TomTom site without turning off my firewall (which may have been configured to reject something from Tomtom at some time - such as cookies)
ssahnan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately still no luck. I did try explorer before but then didn't try the firewall stuff till the replies but still nothing. I am sure the voices aren't worth the headache but its more just knowing its just not working that is irratating me. I have tried it thru explorer, pop up blocker off, no windows firewall, no antivirus firewall, no router firewall and ms spyware turned off...not sure how much open i can make myself...i guess a dmz maybe

after you add them to the cart, what is supposed to happen next? does it go to a checkout screen or does a pop up checkout screen come up? For me, it goes back to the plus page with for as much as i scan the page, i just see no link to a checkout. Curious what really is supposed to happen next.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rabdo wrote:
Not sure if this helps but I am in UK and was having the same problems. Turned out it was a problem with the firefox browser I was using - tried buying with internet explorer and all was fine. I think there may be a problem with the tomtom site with some browsers.

rabdo

I use Netscape and I found that cookies were rejected by default.

I had to go into Cookie Manager and Allow Cookies From This Site. It works on other sites as well.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
ssahnan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've tried every variation i can think of and still nothing....for those that have bought something from the plus sevices, what does happen after you select add to cart?
sschelle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether they're just not taking orders from the US.
daveyonthemove
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I was just about to suggest that, try it with IE if your using FF. Plenty of happy buyers so it works for some!

FWIW, I've always found most of the voices fun for a few minutes and then plain irritating but John Cleese is better, he keeps the quips to himself most of the time and it works.

I bought the John cleese voice from tomtom and my server is using firefox. I had no trouble buying it and checking out, although i wish i had....
No matter what i try and how often i follow the tomtom instructions to the letter, i cannot get the J.C voice to work even though it is in the voice menu and is selectable.
Anybody know how to resolve this annoying issue, as tomtom clearly don't judging by the response i got today (over 2 weeks after initial question).
ssahnan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i emailed them last week and didn't hear back so i finally called them today and left a message. heard back quickly and apparently the issue is that they have no u.s. website storefront i guess so what you have to end up doing is switch the language of the tomtom website to uk english and then it allows you to checkout. then, when you do checkout, under country, united states isn't listed so you pick the virgin islands to continue on. Because of this, you don't end up getting the confirmation email or voices right away, it takes a few days for everything to clear so i just need to sit back now.

the only point of contention on it all is though there were two choices for the virgin islands, a (us) one and a (uk) one. i went with (us) so i guess we will see if everything goes through ok.

Very silly that they do not tell you this on the website itself but then again, judging by many of the posts on this board and reviews of there products on the web, i am certainly far from the first person to have raised issues with the quality of their website.

anyway, to any others that may experience this issue stateside and wanted to know what you have to do, here is how you do it. I went thru firefox no issues also....
ssahnan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as an adendum, the process didn't take a few days at all and everything has already gone thru and been downloadable...so i am set, after just watching that north ireland vs england debacle i can now use my tomtom voices to navigate me off the nearest cliff...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: