Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - transfer text document/xls document to OV2 file
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

transfer text document/xls document to OV2 file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: transfer text document/xls document to OV2 file Reply with quote

hi

i have found a text document with walmart locations on it

does anybody know how to transfer this to ov2 formatt

the document has this data on it

38.919506,-77.226799,Wal-Mart- I-66:47 7412 Stream Walk Ln (Located to ZIP)
36.843859,-81.502353,Wal-Mart1I-81;47 1193 N Main St (Located to Block)
30.451374,-91.243474,Wal-MartI-10:151 2808 Court St (Located to Block)

other than that i have an XLS document with addresses only(walmart) is it possible to transfer this to ov2

any ideas or help would be appreciated

please be aware that i have no idea how to do this so i will need an idiots guide

many thanks

linrew :D
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i forgot i also have a LOC file with florida waypoints on it (something to do with expertgps)

any ideas

linrew :D
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you download the free POI Converter program from http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com/html/poiconverter.html, it's relatively easy.

Basically you need either an Excel spreadsheet or comma delimited text file with one store location in each row. Each entry needs to be in Longitude, Latitude, Name order. [Your data appears to have lat/long rather thab long/lat - so you'll need to swap the first two columns.
You'll then have to decide how to present the location of each store - because that's what will show on TTG's screen when you browse them. If ZIP is sufficient, what you already have is fairly close. However, if you want to display City/neighbourhood, you'll have to find a way of importing that into your spreadsheet before creating the .ov2 file. Either way, I assume that you will create a file called Wallmart.ov2 - which will show up on TTG as a POI category called "Wallmart" - so you don't need or want the word "Wallmart" to appear in each individual entry. You can use Excel's search and replace function to replace each reference to Wallmart with (nothing).

Once you have created your .ov2 file on your PC, you need to connect TTG to the PC using the USB cable. The PC should then see TTG as an external USB mass storage device. Using Windows Explorer, copy the .ov2 file to the folder on TTG's SD card which holds the map of your country or region.

Then, with TTG in navigation mode, you can say Navigate to POI - and select Wallmart from the displayed categories, and it will give you a list, starting with the nearest to your current location.

If you want Wallmart locations to show up when you browse the map, you'll need to create a 22x22 bit icon and call it Wallmart.bmp (assuming the .ov2 file is Wallmart.ov2) and you'll need to 'enable' the Wallmart category from the Change Preferences/Maintain POI menu.

HTH.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

sorry im being a bit of a dipstick here

i have downloaded the POI converter

i have used excel to swap the coloums from lat/long to long/lat and saved the file as walmartpoi

but when i open poi converter and goto open and choose walmartpoi it gives an error message saying "the data must be on worksheet points" the same message comes up when i goto append and choose walmartpoi

i assume i have done something wrong but no idea what

i would be greatfull if anyone has any ideas as to what i am doing wrong

linrew Embarassed
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the program's built-in Help - and read the section on using Excel spreadsheets. It explains that, for POIs, you need to give the sheet (not the file) the name "Points" - and it tells you what column headings you need to use.

Personally, I've always found it easier to save the spreadsheet as a .csv file - and then use this as input to POI Converter rather than the original spreadsheet.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The data needs to look like below

-5.35235, 50.20901, "Your Description Here"

Within reason you can put whatever discription between the "" but don't make it to long

Just use NotePad, then save it with a .asc file extension, then use This Program

Just install it, then on the Tools - Batch menu just select the directories, and the format you require and its done.
linrew
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks

i think its sorted now

just got to get my USA maps to test it (still got to order them)

i have walmart and costco pois if any one wants to try them

again many thanks

linrew :D :D :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: