Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim x50 / x50v Tomtom Custom Car Mounting Kit.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim x50 / x50v Tomtom Custom Car Mounting Kit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pillhead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Dell Axim x50 / x50v Tomtom Custom Car Mounting Kit. Reply with quote

Has anyone tried one of these yet :-

http://www.pdamods.com/proddetail.asp?prod=A11CRXDLX50MNT&cat=23

Its a car kit for the Dell X50v, but I wuold like to know more about the optional fuzion wired GPS antenna that you purchase with it, is it any good? I cant seem to find anything out about this fuzion GPS unit on the web apart from suggestions it maybe a polstar unit, only someone said it was a polstar model which was bluetooth, but this is a wired unit?

If I buy one of these and the optional GPS unit, then plug a Dell X50v with the tomtom 5 software installed into it, I am ready to go?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wired Fuzion unit for the hire cars got it off e-bay for around £30 - the following link wil take you to some info - (note that specific one is for the Ipaq range) but it is only the addapter cable that is different - found it be reliable and quick to fix in use -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=69928&item=5220506138&rd=1

as for TT5 have a read through the problems sections where people with VGA devices (the X50v is one) have experianced major trouble, I have an ipaq4700 and can't load it up on that - there is plenty of information on the forum wrt to this problem, at some point (hopefully) TomTom might get round to an official patch to get it to work, until then I will not load it, not prepared to try a work around (there is one avail) the software at these prices should work but clearly doesn't - mike
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Axim x50 / x50v Tomtom Custom Car Mounting Kit. Reply with quote

pillhead wrote:
Has anyone tried one of these yet :-

http://www.pdamods.com/proddetail.asp?prod=A11CRXDLX50MNT&cat=23

Its a car kit for the Dell X50v, but I wuold like to know more about the optional fuzion wired GPS antenna that you purchase with it, is it any good? I cant seem to find anything out about this fuzion GPS unit on the web apart from suggestions it maybe a polstar unit, only someone said it was a polstar model which was bluetooth, but this is a wired unit?

If I buy one of these and the optional GPS unit, then plug a Dell X50v with the tomtom 5 software installed into it, I am ready to go?

Hi Pillhead
I suggest that you also take a look at the ARKON range of mounts. I recent purchased a CM820 and am very pleased with it -http://www.arkon.com/gpsmount.html#cm820 - It has built in GPS receiver and a built in audio amplifier for the spoken directions - a vast improvement on the tiny speaker on the X50

If you already have a Sat Receiver, then I suggest the version without the built in receiver.

Although the above link is for the US manufacturer, they are available on eBay or a host of GPS suppliers in the UK...
pillhead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the feedback people, havnt purchased my pocket PC yet, cheers for the warning about software not working properly on the x50v!

I was actually throwing the specs in the air with the X30 and the X50v and then thinking what makes the X50v worth the extra £50, I guess its not if TomTom doesnt work Laughing
Donald
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillhead wrote:
Cheers for the feedback people, havnt purchased my pocket PC yet, cheers for the warning about software not working properly on the x50v!

I was actually throwing the specs in the air with the X30 and the X50v and then thinking what makes the X50v worth the extra £50, I guess its not if TomTom doesnt work Laughing

End note: TT5 works a treat on Axim x50
pillhead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donald wrote:
pillhead wrote:

Yah, but if you go to the Dell website and click to configure/buy the X30 which has a faster CPU, it is actually cheaper than the normal X50, weighing in at just 196 pound, instead of 222 for teh x50 Smile
Rambler358
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pillhead wrote:
Donald wrote:
pillhead wrote:

Yah, but if you go to the Dell website and click to configure/buy the X30 which has a faster CPU, it is actually cheaper than the normal X50, weighing in at just 196 pound, instead of 222 for teh x50 Smile

The X50/V will be upgradable to Windows Mobile 5.0 when it's released though. Idea Just some food for thought.
pillhead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambler358 wrote:

The X50/V will be upgradable to Windows Mobile 5.0 when it's released though. Idea Just some food for thought.

Cheers, that finally clinched it for me, just ordered 2 of em right before the sale ends tomorrow and got my extra 7% discount through our EPP program.

Just hope I can run that hack and get tomtom working fine on it Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: