Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Refresh problems with TTN2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Refresh problems with TTN2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mawsonp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Refresh problems with TTN2 Reply with quote

I was wondering if anybody is having the same problem with TTN2 as I am, I have used TT for 3 weeks now and have noticed that quite often it loses its position on a main road, and assumes I have turned off, and then tells me to region the main road or turn around, it is annoying, and means I occasionaly miss a turning. I was travelling up the A1 last week and TT had me travelling parallel for quite a few miles.

I have also noticed that when I turn a corner or go round a roundabout it takes 20 to 30 seconds to catch up with me after I have turned.

My set up is IPAQ 3360, Garmin Etrex, TTN2.

Regards,

Phil
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Refresh problems with TTN2 Reply with quote

A couple of thoughts come to mind.

Firstly - is your Garmin set to the WGS84 datum. If not - change it, at least when using TomTom Navigator.

Secondly - what is your satellite reception like in car? Are you receiving at least four satellites at each time (the minimum is actually three for a 2D fix, but more is certainly preferable). If the GPS is sat on the floor or somewhere with a bad view of the sky, you're not going to pick up that many satellites, which means your position won't be as accurate as it could be.

It may be possible to optimise the Garmin's NMEA output to TomTom Navigator's needs - but I'll leave that to someone who has more experience with Garmin devices than I do. If the datum is wrong, that will explain a lot!

David
mawsonp
Occasional Visitor

My map datum is set to Ord srvy GB, I will change it to WGS84. I usually have a minimum of 4 satellites.

Thanks,

Phil
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Change the datum to WGS84 when using TomTom Navigator 2 - I think you'll find the results are much better. Hopefully this will solve all the problems you report.

The query about the number of satellites was just checking that your problem wasn't excessive Dilution Of Precision.

Maybe you can drop a brief reply into this thread when you've seen if changing your Garmin's datum setting solves the problems. I'm sure we've had this mentioned in the forum before, but it may just help the next person coming along with a similar problem if you post a brief confirmation after you've tried changing datum.

David
mawsonp
Occasional Visitor

DavidW,

Did as you suggested, tried it last night and it worked a treat Smile I would like it on record that I was not very impressed with my first 3 weeks with TTN2, but now that I know it was dealing with the wrong co-ordinate information, it coped remarkably well and still tried to make sense of where I was.

Heres to many years of accurate GPS routing!

Regards,

Phil
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

There we go - glad to pass on a tip that has been mentioned before, and I'm glad it's working for you now. It really is great when it works properly.

Your experience fits with the theory; Navigator would be expected to cope reasonably if the wrong datum was set as it tries to deal as best it can with inaccurate GPS positioning. There will be times when it doesn't correct properly. Setting the right datum should make things work much more smoothly.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: