Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Right Decision?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Right Decision?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
withoutapaddle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: The Right Decision? Reply with quote

I do a lot of business miles throughout the UK but have been a bit cynical regards SatNav systems.This was until a few weeks ago when I happened to be with a colleague who had a TomTom in his car and was pleasantly surprised.
I had a look at a couple of systems and read a couple of reviews Auto Express etc.And from these and the advertising blurb yesterday purchased an ICN510 which to be honest have not really had time to access.
Looking for safety camera downloads I came across this and other forums and feel from the feedback I feel may have made a mistake with this purchase as no one seem that positive about it.Also discovered that they are also no longer being made (futureproof?) Have just spent £389 had to convince wife it was essential for what now maybe a useless piece of kit.Hopefully I will be proved wrong or should I take it back for a refund and stick with my road atlas Confused
goatboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had experience with the TomTom on a PDA and while I found it very good, I got bored of setting it all up everytime I switched cars and so I have just bought the ICN510. Why? Because it is smaller and for the money I got the whole of Europe and a remote control (big whoop.. Rolling Eyes )

The expensive TomTom (500? 700?) comes with an integrated BlueTooth car kit and a very loud speaker, apparently. Also, I think the TomTom wins SLIGHTLY on user friendliness.

However, for sheer size and portability, I find the ICN510 excels. Once I got my head round the design of its OS (Like with all new toys) I was away. I even prefer the software for the PC that comes with it.

The map is the same as the TomTom and I see no reason why it won't be updated - the ICN510 does exactly what you need now, why should it not in the future? Maybe there will be additional features on other or newer models, but why should that bother you unless it is something that REALLY makes you want to change - in which case, eBay the ICN510 and buy whatever. You will probably lose about £50, in my experience!!!

I am not sure what the advantage of the 520 over the 510 is, but I guess whatever it is will be evolutionary, rather than revolutionary. I was gutted when I saw the 510 was on the way out after I bought it, but I (and probably you) am suffering the standard gadget paranoia, that as soon as you have made your decision you see something better. Get over it, this will always happen!!! :D

Anyway, get the speed camera DB and install it (very easy, I did it in 5 minutes) it works very well and is free... Then just enjoy your purchase and come back here if you have a question!

All the very best and good luck, Ade.
Withome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Goatboy. I love my iCN510 and it certainly serves its purpose well. The main benefit over other systems is it's size - you really can just slip it in your pocket when you get out of the car. Try doing that with a TomTom and you'll get some very strange, possibly admiring, looks.

I think it is good that Navman are bringing out the 520 - these things need to evolve over time. I am sure that there will be upgrades available for 510 owners if there is anything new we need and I also believe that they are working on full postcode search etc. which will be with us once they have got it all working correctly.

In the meantime, enjoy your 510 as I do. There is no need for satnav envy (for the moment at least).
goatboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Withome wrote:
Try doing that with a TomTom and you'll get some very strange, possibly admiring, looks.

Bwahahahah!!! :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: