Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has the 5.1 update improved GPS position accuracy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has the 5.1 update improved GPS position accuracy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitey30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Has the 5.1 update improved GPS position accuracy? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the TTN5 update to v5.1 has fixed the problem with the GPS accuracy leaving alot to be desired? Where it would think you were still travelling down one road when you actually turned left/right a few seconds beforehand, and especially its inaccuracy keeping up with your position on roundabouts etc?

Cheers
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the problem is more to do with SD card speed. I am running 5.0 on an iPAQ2210 with a Fujifilm SD card and it tracks around roundabouts perfectly
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible solution to this may be to disable all custom POI's, if you have any. This makes everthing run much faster.

Roger
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running ver 5.1 on a Mio168 with a 1Gb Kingston SD card.

Having just installed Custom POI's, I noticed yesterday that the position displayed on the map was someway behind where I actually was. For example, I was 50 yards through a set of traffic lights and yet the map showed that I hadn't even gone through the junction yet.

I had read that turning off the POI's alleviated the problem. I can confirm that this does certainly improve the situation, but it is still by no means perfect.

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Whitey30
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mio 168 but the only POI's that I use are the speed camera ones, and even these are only set up to warn me when I am actually near the camera...no POI's are actually displayed on my screen at all.

Is there a bit of confusion here as to whether or not this is a problem then? Do some people suffer from it and others not?

As far as my GPS lock goes it can get very confused when you are on one road that is right next to another one, for example on the other side of a hedge, which renders it kinda useless when it thinks you are on one piece of road and in fact you are 20 feet to the left on a parallel road!

This behaviour is with lots of available satellites so its not a lack of signal problem, and version 3 didn't do it!

FYI the SD card that i'm using is a Viking 512mb one....seems fast enough to me at other things, playing divx films for example?

Confused
dunos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a website that has tested different SD cards to see how fast they are in an iPAQ:

http://www.durrans.com/cardspeed/

I don't think this is an SD card speed problem that you are describing. I think it is a tomtom issue with it trying to lock on to the correct road and making a mistake.
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm running ver 5.1 on a Mio168 with a 1Gb Kingston SD card.

Does the Mio168 use XTrack? I know that the Mio268 and Mio269 use it.

This will give improved sensitivity but at the expense of position accuracy.

Roger
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with XTrack. What exactly does this do. Is this pre-installed software with MIO 268/9 ?

If it doesn't improve position accuracy, is it worth having ?

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not familiar with XTrack. What exactly does this do. Is this pre-installed software with MIO 268/9 ?

This is part of the built in firmware of the GPS unit on the MIO 268/9. It's advantages/disadvantages are discussed on this site in a major article somewhere.

Basically it means you can get a fix more easily with more satellites received but that the fix may be a lot less accurate.

Roger
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to XTrack:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/xtracornoxtrac.php

Roger
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the TTN5 lack of accuracy is sometimes down to it 'assuming' that you are travelling on the route it has planned for you.

If I exit a motorway or major A-road on a slip road, but TTN5 is telling me to carry on on the motorway, my position on screen will often still be on the motorway, even though I'm on the slip road, waiting at some traffic lights, and have been on the slip road for a minute or two!

However, if, in advance, I plan the route so TTN5 takes me down that slip road, it tracks me on the map perfectly every time.

Maybe it's something to do with the way TTN5 has been programmed? Perhaps it's quicker for screen updates if it assumes you are going to follow the instruction it's telling you (like going round a roundabout), rather than trying to track you properly - and then only update your position on the screen afterwards if it realises you've deviated from the planned route?

Doesn't make much sense if it does work like that - but from my experiences it does seem to do this quite a lot.
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced the dreaded slowdown when POIs are displayed.

Could someone confirm to me whether it is only custom POIs that cause this because it would be useful to display the standard ones such as garages without the slowdown.

Many Thanks
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Could someone confirm to me whether it is only custom POIs that cause this because it would be useful to display the standard ones such as garages without the slowdown.

Seems to be only the custom POI's that cause a slowdown.

Roger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: