Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best compact logging GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best compact logging GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Songdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Best compact logging GPS? Reply with quote

I am looking for a compact GPS unit (no screen would be fine) to log long bike rides (4 - 10 hours; I'm ambitious). The unit has to offer configurable automated logging, good battery life, and plenty of memory for the log. I'd prefer Bluetooth to download the log (because I could then also use the device with my Palm) but a wired connection would be okay if it's much cheaper. I don't want to have to carry the Palm and use that for logging, though. For one thing I don't think it has the battery life, and for another it's just too much to bother with for my purposes. I just want to turn the unit on, throw it in a waterproof case or bag, toss it in my pack, and go.

At face value the DeLorme Blue Logger GPS is exactly what I'm looking for, but it sounds like they simply stop working after a while, everyone hates the power switch, and the warranty is terrible. Plus I'd have to pay for software I don't want. Are there other devices similar to (but superior to, and/or cheaper than) the Blue Logger out there?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. The Blue Logger is still the best.

get yourself an extra battery if you are concerned about the run time (mine lasts for 9 hours).

Be aware that there is no software for the Pocket PC (left alone the Palm) to read the log. You need a PC for that.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Songdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind reading the log on the PC, carrying an extra battery, or tossing the mapping software that comes with the Blue Logger. What I'm really concerned about is the quality. Is this thing likely to still be working in a year? I get the feeling from what I've read online that it's going to just stop working Sad
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how you come to that conclusion. Mine's in heavy use and has yet to show any sign of weakness. Leadtek have a pretty good reputation overall. Phew, did I say Leadtek? I meant DeLorme! ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Songdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it mentioned in the Amazon.com reviews and in pumuky's post in the forums here (to which you responded). I hope these are isolated events. It'd be one thing if it broke and the seller replaced it, but it sounds like after sixty days you'd be out of luck.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the warranty period is very short. But apart from that one post you mentioned I am not aware of any other complaints abut the durability of the receiver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Songdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at those Amazon reviews (scroll down). There's more than one bad one.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Amazon reviews are mainly about the software (which is indeed horrible) and about users that don't understand the simple concept of "to switch the receiver off wait until the green light is off then press the button until it comes on then release the button". only one is about a faulty receiver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Songdog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's good news. I wish I could get just the GPS unit and its control software without having to buy one of the DeLorme mapping packages. It looks like DeLorme is about to come out with new sets of software (in August) but I suspect the Blue Logger will be the same and there won't be a discount. Anybody want to sell a Blue Logger in good condition? ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: