Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sorry I bought a TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry I bought a TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnmct
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Sorry I bought a TomTom Reply with quote

When I got my TTG 300 I thought it was a fantastic bit of kit. However, five weeks on, I would recommend anyone thinking of buying one to buy a Navman instead. Why? On day 2 of my TTG experience, the SD card went faulty. Instead of taking it back to comet, who did not have any in store at the time, I stupidly believed the laughingly called TTG helpline. They told me to send it back and it would be returned/replaced in 5 to 10 days. This I did. Today, at the end of June FIVE weeks on, i am still waiting. My TTG sits in its box useless. having phoned customer service on 15/6/06, they assured me I would be a priority, and my card` would be dispatched within 2 to 3 days. This was clearly a lie, as nothing else has happened. So, i tried to fax TT, constantly engaged. So, I have tried to phone them, constantly getting a recording which does not even allow me to queue, but cuts off after a few rings. I now cannot find the email address on the site. I have written a letter of complaint which has yet to be answered. So, great product, which in my case is useless! I would not buy a BMW, great car that they are, if I thought the customer service was non existant. I would rather have had a lesser product, and a company geared up to support it. I would certainly NOT buy another Tomtom product,and would advise others to wait. Even more frustrating is a company who you cannot contact to complain! I take it they are still in business?
fitshase
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to contact them via their website?

Go to www.tomtom.com and click on support.

Click on Product Support (left of the screen)

Click on any one of the questions and then scroll down to the bottom of the screen and you will see a "If you could not find your answer..." followed by a "Send an Email" button.

Click on the button and raise a case with them.

My TTGO became faulty so I contacted them via the website. They sent me e-mails back suggesting things to try to solve the problem. Nothing worked so they sent me a return number and label. UPS came and picked the TTGo up and once TomTom had received it, they sent me a replacement. I was without one for 1 week at the most.

Regards

Fitshase
johnmct
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote them a letter last week, but have just emailed them as well. Will post their response when it arrives. All very annoying though.
washbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johnmct...

From my own personal experiences with TTCS I would certainly agree with your concerns over their competency. I have just had two months swapping emails with them over a few issues and they are useless.

FWIW, they also returned back to me a 'duff' SD card (that was working OK when I sent it to them with my unit) and it was over three weeks before I got a replacement back.

Hope it all works out OK for you because it really is a superb bit of kit.... but the support is abysmal.

Good luck
Dave
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnmct wrote:
I wrote them a letter last week, but have just emailed them as well. Will post their response when it arrives. All very annoying though.

I would tend to agree with your experience, after receiving my TTG 300 I luckily backed it up straight away, luckily because a day later the card went pop during the upgrade.

Being more impatient I nipped down to Novatech (luckily nearby) and got a 256MB SD card for £15, as I can see the French maps are 252MB I now wish it had been the 512MB. Anyway restored the backup and away I went.

I then sent my fault card back via the web site. After the initial wonderment on how slick the process was - collection slick and quick I then sat and waited. They say a 5 day turn around, my own experience was around 3 weeks. No email communication except to say item was received. As I already had a card I wasn't concerned and in truth the 128MB supplied is too small anyway! But yes in all very poor turn around Sad

When you receive your card back - make a full backup immediately (copy contents into a folder on the pc hidden items shown). I'd then recommend getting either a 512MB or 256MB SD Card and using that.

The TTG 300? Bloody brilliant, just a shame their workshop isn't as well.

Tals
MartinW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I too had a problem with my SD card and had to send it back for a replacement. Excellent, quick collection and received the replacement today! 6 working days from when I sent the old one back.

I had good e-mail updates on wot was happening and they quoted 5-10 days for the return which they fulfilled.

Don't get me wrong, I am not singing TT cust svcs praises, but I didn't have a problem.

I think the issue is the same with Customer Services with ALL companies. If you were to conduct a survey of all TT owners that have had dealings with TT cust svcs you would probably find that the majority didn't have a complaint.

Forums are great for airing grievances, but when you receive good service you don't automatically think "I'm impressed, I must post a message on the forum to say how great the service was", but we do when we receive bad service.

Who knows, my next experience with TT CS might be crap (better not be or you'll all hear about it) Wink
tals
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with anything you can only discover how good customer services are when you sadly have to use them. In my case it was sadly lacking - I know another person who sent his tom tom back and had a turn around of 6 days - which is cracking.

But certainly made me very wary if I do experience any further issues with mine.

Tals

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: