Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing TTN5 but reserving TTN3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing TTN5 but reserving TTN3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Installing TTN5 but reserving TTN3 Reply with quote

Hi,
I am sure that I remember reading a recent (ish) post concerning how to install TTN5 , but keep the ability to easily revert to TTN3 if 5 seems to be as much of a pain as some users have found.
I have been unable to find it though.
Could someone either post a link, or an idiot's guide to acheiving the above please?

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply install both the applications and the maps into different folders.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,
I did not realise it would be that simple!
Would it be best to install the maps to a different SD card, especially as the present one is quite full?

Apologies if I have posted this twice, I thought I had replied but it did not appear.

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02
AllenJames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz, are you sure this works ?

I have tried 3 times and TT5 always replaces TT3.

I install TT3 to Main Memory.
I then install TT5 to SD Card.

But TT5 always dumps files in "Program Files" and overwrites? TT3.
iPhone 5 (phoning)
JNeail
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LeighB

Seems Lutz has got it wrong on this one as the upgrade does exactly that, it upgrades TTN3 to TTN5 and deletes all prior TTN3 files. I used the the backup utility on my iPaq (www.spritesoftware.com) to take an image of my iPaq prior to install thus allowing me to revert back should the upgrade go wrong. In actual fact the upgrade was very smooth and worked like a dream, it turned out to be TTN5 that was rubbish and caused me to revert back to TTN3.

I hope it's not too late for you to take a backup as it's such a pain in the butt to re-install TTN3 and apply all the patches etc.

B.T.W. I doo have both TTN3 & TTN5 maps installed on my 1GB SD card without issue, however only the TTN3 maps work with TTN3 and vica-versa.

Regards

Jaime
Integrated Volvo Phone (Crap - Echoes), Motorola V525, SPV E200, Nokia 6310i
>>They call me Gaget Boy!<<
LeighB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for further info. I had decided that I would make sure I had a full backup before proceeding in any case, and it is good to have confirmation that it is ESSENTIAL !

I will give TTN5 a go, but there do seem a lot of problems with it, although some users feel that it is a worthwhile upgrade.
At least I will be able to get back to my present set up if need be.

Mio168 Kingston 256SD
TomTomNavigator3 3.07
TomTom Navigator 5
Memory Map 2004 OS 4.4
Checkpoint 2.02
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JNeail wrote:
Hi LeighB

Seems Lutz has got it wrong on this one as the upgrade does exactly that, it upgrades TTN3 to TTN5 and deletes all prior TTN3 files.

Only if you keep the files in the folder where you originally installed them. Most people did already move the files to storage card, and you can do that too. Or you use CabInst to reinstall TTN3 to a different folder.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: tt3 and tt5 Reply with quote

Confused go on then give us a clue? how can i install tt3 now i have tt5 on my xda2s i would love to be able to switch between them both help me please
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LeighB
Thankfully I backed up my 2210 before I installed the TT5 upgrade. Believe me, the Sprite Backup utility is brilliant. When I decided to go back to TT3 i done a hard reset, done the Restore and, Bingo, TT3, all Bluetooth settings and programmes were back as before. Great.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: tt3 and tt5 Reply with quote

adamf wrote:
Confused go on then give us a clue? how can i install tt3 now i have tt5 on my xda2s i would love to be able to switch between them both help me please

As I said, use CabInstl to install TTN3 to a different folder. be aware that you also have to have separate maps - they won't work with the opposite version.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for being so dumb im a yamyam when i install the cab file of tt3 i dont get a choice where it goes it vanishes in to ppc heaven? or do i have to copy and paste it etc sorry i just would like the choice?tt5 is very good teething problems with bt clipon but its new lets give em a chance ??
yaughan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I didn't understand the CabInst thing either. Here are the steps I took and now I have both TTN3 and TTN5 installed

- renamed "Navigator" folder "TT3"
- installed TTN5 from upgrade CD (standard options)
- renamed new "Navigator" folder -> "TT5"
- renamed "TT3" folder back to "Navigator"
- updated shortcuts in Start menu for both TT3 (via CheckPoint) and TT5 exe files
- removed TomTom from Today screen (confusing)
- TTN3 isn't working because its GPS has been deleted
- reinstalled TTN3

Now they both work Smile

I have to reset the GPS settings every time I run a different TTN to the previous one. Have a Mitac Mio 168 so both need to be set to NMEA 4800 and SP2, but they are defaulting to USB. Any ideas?

This isn't a big deal as I plan to continue running TTN3 with CheckPoint and only occasionally use TTN5 for the European maps, until 2007 or so when the bugs are sorted!
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just did 4 tests with TTN 5 in 2 different rounds.

First 2 I did install TTN 5 straight in a machine with TTN 3 already. GPS was a Rikaline 6010, wired. After install it was fine, just GPS signal was very poor, after 30 to 40 minutes, GPS signal just dropped and need a soft reset to be recovered. With the GPS swapped to a second machine with just TTN 3 GPS signal was plenty of sats and quality.

Back home I checked that old drivers for GPS had not been removed and still phisycally in the machine. Exactly the same in the registry, where old entries for TTN 3 and GPS still were there.

A hard reset and a clean install of TTN 5 a 2 more test in the same leg of road did produce very different results. From first moment it catched up a lot sats, plenty of signal and good quality. It never lost signal or quality.

I haven't had a deep look into files, but could be that there are two differente files with the same name? Or more complicated that the machine is put in a silly loop looking for both drivers as the old still in the registry?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Loobster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
JNeail wrote:
Hi LeighB

Seems Lutz has got it wrong on this one as the upgrade does exactly that, it upgrades TTN3 to TTN5 and deletes all prior TTN3 files.

Only if you keep the files in the folder where you originally installed them. Most people did already move the files to storage card, and you can do that too. Or you use CabInst to reinstall TTN3 to a different folder.

Hmm ok then, so now you are saying that we can keep using TT3 and TT5 at the same time. But on another thread you stated that a TT5 upgrade nullifies the license for TT3. Surely you aren't assisting people to maintain an illegal configuration, LBendlin. 8)

You can't have your cake and eat it.

--Loob.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loobster wrote:

Hmm ok then, so now you are saying that we can keep using TT3 and TT5 at the same time. But on another thread you stated that a TT5 upgrade nullifies the license for TT3. Surely you aren't assisting people to maintain an illegal configuration, LBendlin. 8)

You can't have your cake and eat it.

--Loob.

You have misread my response. I have clearly (at least I like to think so) stated that this only relates to the scenario that you own TTN3 and TTN5 independently, not via the upgrade.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: