Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Invisible?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Invisible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Invisible? Reply with quote

I must be operating in cyberspace beyond the bounds of man. No replies in this forum, no reply from Medion, no reply from Navigon. My quest is simple.

I have a TMC PPC250 with Navigation Software 2004. I get messages telling me o get new maps. OK guys, where and who will sell me maps?

I want to stay with what I have, is it Navigon? What is the version I should be looking for? Is the Navigon UK Map software functionally the same as their European package just without the European maps.

There must be someone who knows how to get map updates. Help.
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried searching/asking in the Navigon forum http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=61?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Invisible? Reply with quote

Roy124 wrote:
I get messages telling me o get new maps. OK guys, where and who will sell me maps?

Messages from who? As your kit is Medion the obvious place to start would by asking Medion.

www.medionshop.co.uk
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right Dave, but Medion don't reply, Navigon don,t reply, and until now no one here has replied either.

The message is a software popup on the Navigator 2004 - NavTech on Board.

I cannot confirm who the software vendor is from screen shots it looks like Navigon.

It is a great system and POIWarner works well it is just frustrating, and curious, that no one seems interested in selling me anything.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen any package popping up messages telling you to get new maps and I have a Medion bundle here?

What does the message say excatly?

The problem with buying budget buindles is the update issue. No vendors offer map updates as such, they bundle a new map with a version update and sometimes offer this at a discount to existing users. Medion are a budget offering and don't follow this practice. To update you would need to buy a current version of Navigon, Medion Navigator is a cut down version of Navigon.
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes when I set up for route planning a medion meesage pops up saying that the map is over 15 months old and to contact medion for an update. As I said, medion do not respond.

Back to your point, I accept it is a bundle but what software. Once I am certain then I can order some direct.

Navigon are marketting the European sim car and DVDs for €199 I think and the UK map for €99 or maybe €130ish. What they don't say is whether the UK map is just a geographically smaller package but otherwise similar. Also I suspect this is what Medion is using but I don't know.
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, I managed to get the message again last night, can't exactly remember the key sequence. Here it is:

"The map material used by you is more than 12 months old. Since the road map changes every year by approximately 15%, we recommend the purchase of an updated version. For information please call the hotline number indicated in the user manual."

Having gone to the trouble of creating this check and validation loop and drafting the warning, I find it odd that there is no marketting department pushing to sell the product! As I said, from Medion, diddly squat.

Roy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy124 wrote:
Having gone to the trouble of creating this check and validation loop and drafting the warning, I find it odd that there is no marketting department pushing to sell the product! As I said, from Medion, diddly squat.

I'd have to agree. The software is Navigon's re-branded for Medion. Map updates are still a grey area, some offer updates others do not. I would look at upgrading to Navigon.

Last edited by Darren on Tue May 24, 2005 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now ordered the Navigon 5 for UK at €49 plus about €10 postage it is my sort of price.
Roy124
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the Navigon 5 package with the British Isles maps only. The DVDs contain Europe and USA etc as part of the Clever maps system.

I then tried to install on my existing earlier TCM Navigator card. I removed the earlier program and installed the new one. No problem. When it came to installing the maps however the installation failed with a useless error message. I guessed there was not enough space and managed to track down and delete the earlier map files and also the POI Warner software. The reinstall then went smoothly, no drama. next I installed the new version of POI Warner 2. After entering the appropriate serial numbers I did a synch and was in business, more or less.

navigon defaults to its own hardware so I had to configure the PDA to look for 'other GPS' and reset the baud rate to 4 800. Now AOK.

Navigating around however was hit and miss and the display a bit strange. Fiddling with the settings I changed to expert mode and things became clearer.

Things got a lot better when I scanned the 'optional' (no mention) PDF manual - 131 pages of rather quaint English as a foreign language.

The 3D display was unnerving at first until I did a variable speed run. Then you could see the map increase in range to look further ahead. The 2D display is a plan position display whereas the 3D display is more like a radar B-scope with the bottom of the screen expanded and the top compressed to give a much wider field of view. Once I had the hang of it the 3D is probably my favourite.

The implementation is not without quirks and annoyances. The first is the display, in expert and info mode, of the altitude in YARDS. The other is the variable scale in the bottom left. It varies between 7 yards to a mile of more but only in relation to a little scale about a centimetre long and almost invisible. Useless feature really.

POI Warner is also much improved with add and delete POI being acted upon immediately. You can also input information about the POI at the time of recording - more use to a navigator rather than the driver!

The only catch at the moment is that POI Warner cannot display POI speedcams when in 3D mode although the voice warnings work.

The latter also has a little bug but I haven't researched it yet. I had a POI selected for warning then I tried the select all feature. At this point Brunhilda got a pronounced stutter as she tried to react to both the ALL and the Individual warnings. Deselecting the ALL setting seemed to return her sanity.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: