Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NO Coverage of IRELAND!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NO Coverage of IRELAND!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: NO Coverage of IRELAND! Reply with quote

I was considering purchasing a Go '700' but thought i would contact TomTom to see exactly what coverage of the Republic there actually is. This is the reply i just got e-maile to me:

Thank you for your email.

On GO 700 only Major roads of Ireland will be on the map.

Please see following link:
http://www.tomtom.com/products/section.php?ID=74&Section=91&Language=1&TT=022b70d3f19b141379a024cd31accac2

We do not have any maps with more coverage of the Republic of Ireland.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

This is very, very lame, and for a £550 flagship model! According to their website, 'Door to door planning in Europe'?, i dont think so!

Needless to say, i WILL NOT be buying one, it just does'nt do what it says on the tin ! Rip off! Evil or Very Mad
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NO Coverage of IRELAND! Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
On GO 700 only Major roads of Ireland will be on the map.

That's not the same as "NO Coverage of IRELAND" though, is it?
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow There is NO coverage of Ireland. What possible use is forking out £550 of your hard-earned, for TomTom's flagship model, if it can't direct you round a small island like the Republic? Major roads is'nt much use!
If i wanted major roads i would of opted for the 500!

Tell me this, how is it they can map countries like France, Holland, Belguim etc, down to street level, but they cannot do coverage of Ireland.

My point is this, for £550, this 'top of the range unit, should have Ireland mapped down to street level! You can blame who you like , Tele-Atlas, TomTom, etc, but the fact of the matter is, TomTom should not be advertising their unit as, and i quote ''Door-to-door planning in Europe: connected maps of any detailed address in whole Europe on a hard disc drive''.

Clearly a breach of advertising regulations!
jumblemo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find you wont need GPS in Ireland, theres always a friendly local on each street corner always ready to direct you, to be sure.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
... but the fact of the matter is, TomTom should not be advertising their unit as, and i quote ''Door-to-door planning in Europe: connected maps of any detailed address in whole Europe on a hard disc drive''.

Clearly a breach of advertising regulations!

Perhaps they have a definition of Europe different from yours :D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't understand your comment.

Jonboy wrote:
Arrow There is NO coverage of Ireland.

My understanding was that they offer major roads and street level mapping of Dublin and Belfast.

I fully agree that they should be more explicit about the exact extent of their map coverage and that their statement "Door-to-door planning in the whole of Europe" is misleading.

Maybe a complaint to Advertising Standards is in order? To be fair though, all the sat nav systems are pretty much guilty of glossing over the shameful state of Ireland coverage.

From my travels in Ireland using Navteq based maps (Garmin and CoPilot) I can tell you that they aren't much better. Major roads are all mapped but only a handful of major towns are mapped to street level. :x
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy, with all due respect, was is there not to understand?

In layman's terms, i pay to have the best 'Go' package TomTom sell, which is supposed to be the '700'.

Now, this unit is supposed to guide me round a good sizeable chunk of Europe. As per TomTom's blurb.

This unit CANNOT guide me in Ireland, (a member state), only if i stick to the major roads! So whats the point of this unit??

TomTom 700 website advert ''Door-to-door planning in the whole of Europe''
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complain to European Commission

http://www.euireland.ie/LegalRights/citizensrights.htm
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
So whats the point of this unit??

You wouldn't believe it, but the rest of the Europeans might find it useful. On the other hand it could be an anti-Irish conspiracy. TomTom is an evil company and I wouldn't put it past them.
smallfreak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: NO Coverage of IRELAND! Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
This is very, very lame, and for a £550 flagship model! According to their website, 'Door to door planning in Europe'?, i dont think so!

You might want to check the coverage of other map suppliers. Garmin for instance relies on maps from NavTeq which can be examinated online:
http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/webmap.cgi?p=6488065&l=0&u=1&v=0&cp=718656FEAE878DFE&z=9&w=600&h=450&d=0&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

If you find a fit, you might get happy wit a "Garmin StreetPilot 330", which is a direct competition to the TomTomGo 700 in both price and features.

The most actual NavTeq maps are still a little sparse in rural parts of Ireland. Since I've never been there I cannot estimate whether this reflects the reality.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonboy wrote:
Skippy, with all due respect, was is there not to understand?

I fully agree that their claim of "Door to Door planning" is misleading, but you simply cannot say that there is "NO coverage of Ireland". My impression is that the TeleAtlas maps cover a few major cities, Dublin and Belfast included, and the major roads.

Jonboy wrote:
So whats the point of this unit??

OK, now. Take a deep breath. Hold it. Breathe out. Wink

My first mapping product was Garmin's Navteq based Mapsource v4. This only offered mapping of Dublin, Belfast and 4 or 5 major roads, part of Kerry and that was ALL. Roads in other parts of the Island simply didn't exist on the maps AT ALL!

TeleAtlas and Navteq have improved greatly with the mapping of major roads. No, it isn't "door to door" as TT claim but for occasional travelers to Ireland like myself it is still worth having. A small consolation is that it's also a no-cost add-on to the UK maps. When Ireland is fully mapped it could easily be sold as a seperate product.
bloxy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No coverage of ireland is a fair comment, afew major roads will not get you around an island that is interlaced with minor roads many of which you need to use to get to your destination. How come Tom Tom manage to provide this level of detail on the now defunct Routeplanner (which I still use when visiting the Emerald Isle) but not on the new flagsip model.

I too was going to buy this because the map coverage originaly showed Eire, I checked again today and sudenlly Eire has dissapeared from the coverage map, pity all those poor souls who ordered it on the false information put out by Tom Tom.
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad If you ask me, it's just a big con. Evil or Very Mad

It's the 21'st century, why has'nt Ireland been mapped??

It's like i said earlier, if they can map a country the size of France down to street level, for crying out loud why not Ireland.

Tele-Atlas want to get their fingers out their asses, and sort this out quickly, cos i for one am NOT buying any of their products until they do!

Another thing, i take it no TomTom Go units are sold in Ireland then because of this issue, see, if they sorted it out, they could open up to a new market for the product Exclamation
bloxy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the now defunct TT Routeplanner which has comprehensive mapping of Ireland which I use when over there, so how come TT can't manage it on their latest flagship product? Question
Jonboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i'd like to know Exclamation

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: