Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v5.x display woes saga
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v5.x display woes saga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
washbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: v5.x display woes saga Reply with quote

For those of you who have been following the 'washed out' display issue threads, or have even experienced this problem first hand, a few of you will recall I said I would post any update I got back from TTCS since the v5 upgrade problems, well here is one of them.

After 7 weeks of emails, and three phone calls, the latest being an hour and three quarters long today, discussing the display and 'dubious' wrong/multiple/confusing instructions since the v5 upgrade, here is what I have just been told by their Support Team.

Basically, the bright, clear screen I originally had with v4.42 was probably down to my unit being 'faulty from new' and this would have actually risked the screen burning out eventually because of it being set to these higher brightness levels. However, they say since running the v5.x upgrade on my unit, this has now 'corrected' the brightness levels of the display down to what they should be and which is why I seem to think it is dim now. TT also say that there have only been THREE reports about this to them and, considering the amount of units sold, this is an acceptable level so they can't see the need to correct this for what is only a few isolated instances. He said, had there been more complaints about this issue, then they would have probably looked into it further.

Well, these so called 'correct' levels are giving me problems even veiwing the screen display in bright daylight, let alone sunshine. You can see a couple of pictures of my unit in action here...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave_scott/TomTom%20GO.htm

and please note that is isn't even sunny, and I can't remember having ANY issues at all like this with v4.42.

Prior to this, TT had requested that I send my TTG back to them to be checked out, and I got it back from them within three days... the same as I sent it. TTCS said that in their oppinion, there was nothing wrong with it. They also returned a non working SD Card back to me of the latest Maps I had just bought from them (yet it worked when I sent it to them)... but that's another story. This was returned to them on the 23rd May and I still have nothing back from them yet 3rd June...

I feel I have tried everything with them over this and so far, they don't appear to want to listen, and as it seems like I am going to be stuck with this unit now, and because I was so annoyed at the situation and lack of support, I suggested to him that I may as well sell it on eBay and put the money towards one of the new 500 units, when they become available. I was then told that I was not legally entitled do that either because the license for this product and software is allocated to me only, and that if I were to sell it, and the new owner had any reason to re-activate the unit/software/upgrades etc in the future... TT would refuse this by blocking it because they would not have any rights to the original license.

I expressed my thoughts about TT Customer Support and said in this case, I would be looking for either an exchange unit from them or a refund on mine so that I could then look at getting a new 500 unit (that can be seen in daylight) but this too doesn't seem likely. He says that according to their 'level 2' my unit is not faulty so they don't have any need to take things any further. He sympathised with me and said he had also read all the incident numbers and mailings I have with them about this (and also apologised for TT's inadequate replies) but he said he would 'try' and sort something out as he could see that I wasn't pleased.

Sorry if I have bored you with this, but some of the contents will interest some of you I am sure, I just thought I would share it with you.

Cheers
Dave
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: v5.x display woes saga Reply with quote

washbrook wrote:
I suggested to him that I may as well sell it on eBay and put the money towards one of the new 500 units, when they become available. I was then told that I was not legally entitled do that either because the license for this product and software is allocated to me only, and that if I were to sell it, and the new owner had any reason to re-activate the unit/software/upgrades etc in the future... TT would refuse this by blocking it because they would not have any rights to the original license.

I'm not sure that's true, and I think they are just trying to scare you. How would they even know? The authorisation code is generated from the device code (on the GO) and the product code (on the CD). If you sold both together (and I can't see why you wouldn't do that in your case) then any future owner would know both, and so could easily generate another auth code.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: