Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route planning problems TTG300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route planning problems TTG300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austhorpe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Route planning problems TTG300 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just had a couple of problems and I was hoping someone could help!

1) It seems to take me the long way around sometimes. Other day coming home from York all I had to do was go around the ring road to the A64. TTG decided I needed to go all the way into the city centre and back out the other side!! on a Saturday afternoon, I was well happy!!!

2) It will bring me home a different route to what I went going! Its annoying as it takes me the route I would expect going then decides to go a different way coming home!

3) The maps are not the best!!! (I know people cannot help me with that just thought I would stick my two pence worth in!)

Any ideas thoughts on points 1 and 2 above would be good

Take care
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is a definitive answer.

1. TTG will calculate, generally, the quickest route which is usually a straight line. It has no comprehension of a Saturday afternoon stroll through a busy city centre.

2. This has been noted before. The suggested reasoning was that in it's calculation both routes were so close to being the same in time, it just chose one or the other.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Old_Phil
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think oldboy has been at the gin again.

The shortest route (not the quickest) is generally a straight line between start and destination.

I suspect that the routing algorithm tries umteen different routes between your start and destination points, keeping a record of the route that is shortest and the one that is quickest.

Sometimes, there is less than a minute difference between competing quickest routes, or less than 1Km between competing shortest routes. Under these circumstances the GO occasionally chooses a route that we, using our common sense, would not choose - like going through York instead of around the by-pass (except of course that the road works at Copmanthorpe make the by-pass a real pain and I have been tempted to go via Nunnery Lane before!)

What the GO does not tell us is by how much the shortest route is the shortest, or the quickest the quickest.

Personally, I ignore Jane when I know where I am going and obey her when I don't.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to keep the explaination short, (and not knowing the location, as simplistic as possible), as on a short-ish journey it would tend to be a straight line. I realise that TTG tries all the roads to get a result.

I can't stand gin. Exclamation

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: