Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help Red Hands only.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Red Hands only.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Help Red Hands only. Reply with quote

Help my brand new TomTom has developed a fault. In essence it wont either turn on or off. Well it is turned on to be correct and I have the TomTom Red hands but I can't get rid of them the unit simply displays them whatever I do - anyone any ideas?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may have to recondition the SD card. the CD should allow you to reload everything

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO300? Does it come with a CD?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope so. Otherwise every little problem with the storage card (like running out of disk space) would result in a huge support issue.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutching at straws here, could the battery be flat or something like that. I have put the unit on the cradle to see if that might work, green light has come on, however I still cannot turn the unit off or get rid of those TomTom red hands, makes no difference if SD card is in or out. It's going back for a refund in the morning, only 27 hours old and only used for twenty minutes. Great bit of kit to use but not impressed with reliability. Glad I used the old plastic.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
GO300? Does it come with a CD?

Indeed it does, but there is nothing of any use on it. Just
1: a backup/restore facility (which doesnt back up the maps.)
2: The manual (which nobody reads)
3: The navigator application (which is out of date already)
4: The voice files (this could be useful)

A bit of a poor show really and will cause a lot of angst and frustration when the SD card fails.
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if "stating the bleedin' obvious" but have you tried the reset on the base of the unit?
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
2: The manual (which nobody reads)

Then dare I suggest you start there?! Rule One is RTFM, you know! Wink
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crocodile wrote:
Apologies if "stating the bleedin' obvious" but have you tried the reset on the base of the unit?

Yes I have, I took it back this morning and the unit was changed without any problems - someone took a look at it and simply shook their head in bewilderment. I may not open this one just yet because if I can't get the maps for France before my holidays then it goes back. Providing I have not opened the unit I can return it within 28 days.
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
I may not open this one just yet because if I can't get the maps for France before my holidays then it goes back. Providing I have not opened the unit I can return it within 28 days.

I don't know if you've seen the latest on the Tomtom site but they are now saying that the maps on SD card will be available in week 23 which begins June 6th. Hope this gives you enough time to get them before your trip Smile
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJEvans wrote:
Faust wrote:
I may not open this one just yet because if I can't get the maps for France before my holidays then it goes back. Providing I have not opened the unit I can return it within 28 days.

I don't know if you've seen the latest on the Tomtom site but they are now saying that the maps on SD card will be available in week 23 which begins June 6th. Hope this gives you enough time to get them before your trip Smile

Yes I have seen this, plus TomTom have emailed me today to say the same thing, though from what I have read on this and other forums they have been quoting similar things for various week numbers for some time now, all of which seem to have come and gone and yet still no maps, so not particularly encouraging.
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just waiting on a reply to an email from TomTom but it looks like I'll be buying the 'old' MOWE. I go to France on the 17th June so a slightly out of date maps is going to be better than no map at all.

Even if they do start selling them on the 6th June I don't think they'll get to me before I go Crying or Very sad
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJEvans wrote:
I'm just waiting on a reply to an email from TomTom but it looks like I'll be buying the 'old' MOWE. I go to France on the 17th June so a slightly out of date maps is going to be better than no map at all.

Even if they do start selling them on the 6th June I don't think they'll get to me before I go Crying or Very sad

Can you actually still buy the old maps, and if so will they still work. I tried to buy the old maps but the company concerned refused to sell them to me as they stated that the maps are for the Classic GO not the GO 300 series, and that the two were not compatible.
PJEvans
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:

Can you actually still buy the old maps, and if so will they still work. I tried to buy the old maps but the company concerned refused to sell them to me as they stated that the maps are for the Classic GO not the GO 300 series, and that the two were not compatible.

I've spoken to TomTom on this matter, they said as long as you install the Firmware V5.00 or V5.10 on the SD card they will work. I know several places that are still selling them. Amazon have then and also gpsw.co.uk. The cheapest place was ebuyer but they don't have any stock at the moment.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is true, then Tele Atlas have them on their own website, though I think they work out at £105 pounds when you do the conversion from Euros to Pounds. I would love to see some categorical statement from TomTom to the effect that these maps are up to date and can be used in the GO 300 series, as my new TomTom is still sitting on a shelf complete with the shrink wrapping and will stay there until I get a map of France, or my 28 days for returning it are up. Tele Atlas also have the SD cards. I have emailed them also for clarification but so far nothing.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: