Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NavMan or Mio269 for French Holiday?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NavMan or Mio269 for French Holiday?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: NavMan or Mio269 for French Holiday? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but not knew to forums per se, AV equipment being more my thing. However, I am thinking of investing in a GPS sat nav device. My query is this - we are going to France in the summer, auto routes, route national, small towns and villages etc. etc., pretty extensive tour. I have narrowed the field down to one of the NavMan products - the deluxe version maybe, or the Mio 269. Has anyone any experience of either, and is one reputed to be any better than the other. I believe from reading various articles that the NavMan actually uses the Mio hardware.
sealion
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came back from 2 weeks in the South of France. Navman 510 worked like a dream. Before flying out to Nice I made a few places 'Favourites' by scrolling round the maps and saving places like the Car Hire offices and the Hotel. On arrival jumped in the car,stuck the holder on the windscreen and said 'go'. Even used it without a route planned and saw places that were of interest. It even found the 4 speed cameras in the area so I was warned in plenty of time, not that the French seem to take much notice anyway. Plenty of 'Points of Interest' to be found on the net to cater for all requirements.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sealion wrote:
Just came back from 2 weeks in the South of France. Navman 510 worked like a dream. Before flying out to Nice I made a few places 'Favourites' by scrolling round the maps and saving places like the Car Hire offices and the Hotel. On arrival jumped in the car,stuck the holder on the windscreen and said 'go'. Even used it without a route planned and saw places that were of interest. It even found the 4 speed cameras in the area so I was warned in plenty of time, not that the French seem to take much notice anyway. Plenty of 'Points of Interest' to be found on the net to cater for all requirements.

Thanks for that info sealion, very informative. I will however be driving all the way, North of England to Provence etc. I was wondering if the Navman 650 might be better, although compared to the Mio it is eye wateringly expensive. I take it you must have purchased the extra maps and SD card, or did you just rely on major routes without street level mapping. I would like to see how the 510 compares price wise with the Navman 650 when one adds in the extra cost of street level map of France and extra SD card. I take it that I would have to change the card as I entered France would I, or have I got that wrong? Finally, how do you add speed camera info to the Navman and does it give audible warnings. Sorry if I am asking a lot but getting good info on these products is not easy. Much better coming from the horses mouth so to speak.
djmek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's any help, the Navman 510 is 399 just now in halfords.
Preference for Motorways & Freeways...More Often......Maximum Right.
Preference for Urban Roads
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
sealion wrote:

Thanks for that info sealion, very informative. I will however be driving all the way, North of England to Provence etc. I was wondering if the Navman 650 might be better, although compared to the Mio it is eye wateringly expensive. I take it you must have purchased the extra maps and SD card, or did you just rely on major routes without street level mapping. I would like to see how the 510 compares price wise with the Navman 650 when one adds in the extra cost of street level map of France and extra SD card. I take it that I would have to change the card as I entered France would I, or have I got that wrong? Finally, how do you add speed camera info to the Navman and does it give audible warnings. Sorry if I am asking a lot but getting good info on these products is not easy. Much better coming from the horses mouth so to speak.

As to speed camera installation on the Navman, have a look at http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php
which will give you detailed information as to how to install the speed cameras both in UK and on the Continent. For the Navman you only need six files for the info and six for the bmp (icon) files and you have to edit them in Notepad first but this is dead easy. And, yes you do get the audible warning on approach - you can set your own perference for the distance. If you look at the Navman iCN 510 Premium edition, it already contains the European maps so you dont need to buy anything extra. You will be able to navigate all the way from home to your european destination including having the street level maps of towns in Europe. I believe the Premium edition is only available in Halfords at the moment but may be elsewhere.
See other recent posts in this forum as I think all your queries have been answered within a reasonable length of recent time.
I dont know about the MIO but I beleive it was reviewed in last weeks ComputerActive magazine and came top. Smile
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're driving from the NW of England down to the SW of France this summer (near Perpignon on the Med coast).
No idea about the Mio but I've gathered together the iCN510 (£399 from Halfords), a 1Gb Sandisk Extreme III card, Eurpean street level maps and the remote control. Incidentally, I ordered the European maps and the remote from the Navman online shop last week and they arrived next day. Just need to get a decent screen protector sorted out now!

With the 1Gb card, I have easily loaded all England, France and a decent chunk of Spain (as we tend to do a fair bit of touring around) and marked off our overnight stop.

Overall, I'm happy with the way the Navman performs.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen and read the 510 premium edition only comes with European base maps not detailed street mapping. I priced up the cost of the more detailed maps plus the extra SD card last night on the Navman website and the cost had me reeling - total cost £603. For the extra £80 or so you could purchase the 650 which like the Mio has a hard drive. I subscribe to Computer Active so will read the review on the Mio before I decide. Do you know which issue number it is reviewed in?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
From what I have seen and read the 510 premium edition only comes with European base maps not detailed street mapping. I priced up the cost of the more detailed maps plus the extra SD card last night on the Navman website and the cost had me reeling - total cost £603. For the extra £80 or so you could purchase the 650 which like the Mio has a hard drive. I subscribe to Computer Active so will read the review on the Mio before I decide. Do you know which issue number it is reviewed in?

The iCN510 Premium does come with detailed European streetmaps. The basic 510 comes with maps for the region in which it was bought and the European Basemap.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Faust wrote:

The iCN510 Premium does come with detailed European streetmaps. The basic 510 comes with maps for the region in which it was bought and the European Basemap.

I'm not doubting your word for one minute Tim, what has got me so confused is the blurb for the Premium Edition on the Halfords website

Points of interest can be set up by the user, downloaded for other databases and also modified. Tens of thousands of POI's pre-installed include: petrol stations, cinemas, camp sites, shops, hotels and historical sites
Users can now navigate from A to B with up to 12 stops programmed in.
Latest and greatest 2004 map data: Courtesy of Tele Atlas, this richer road network also includes the M6 toll road
The iCN510 has the latest GPS technology
Multi view options: SmartST V3.0 offers an unprecedented four viewing options-3D map view, 2D map view, next manoeuvre icon with a 2D mini-map and a four next manoeuvre route summary
Improved routing option: Now includes routing via ferries while quickest/shortest routes, preference for freeways and urban roads with a % preference scale
Also included is a CD of Europes major road network, windshield mounting bracket and 12VDC power adaptor that connects to cigarette lighter socket. A mains power pack for in-doors, USB cable and a protective carry case.

As you can see, it just says Europes major road network, not street level mapping. If Halfords have indeed got this wrong then they are doing themselves no favours - perhaps someone should point this error out to them.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read about the iCN510 Premium on Navman's website here. Mind you, with the Premium you do get the European Basemap as well. Pity Halfords forgot to mention the street-level european maps!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
I subscribe to Computer Active so will read the review on the Mio before I decide. Do you know which issue number it is reviewed in?

Look in issue 188 page 60. The review covers the Mio269 and the iCN 510 Premium Navman. I don't agree with their findings but then they don't do a full test over many weeks or months.
However, the comments may give you a little more information to help you decide.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
?

The iCN510 Premium does come with detailed European streetmaps. The basic 510 comes with maps for the region in which it was bought and the European Basemap.[/quote]

I'm not doubting your word for one minute Tim, what has got me so confused is the blurb for the Premium Edition on the Halfords website

Quote:
Users can now navigate from A to B with up to 12 stops programmed in.
Latest and greatest 2004 map data: Courtesy of Tele Atlas, this richer road network also includes the M6 toll road

The Halfords blurb (section quoted above) seems to indicate that the maps on the Premium edition comes with updated maps eg M6 which was not on the maps on the iCN510 basic which I bought last November Question
Can anyone enlighten me..have the Tele Atlas maps been recently updated and if so is it possible to upgrade the maps on my unit Question [/quote]
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V3 certainly does have the M6 toll. I can't think why it wouldn't be on your 510!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
V3 certainly does have the M6 toll. I can't think why it wouldn't be on your 510!

Aplologies all. Relying on memory again. Will have to get a service Embarassed

On the subject of memory (mine). Have just had a frustrating few hours trying to download the latest Camera POI's to my unit and kept getting "Error pushing a file to the device". Similarly, when trying to delete the existing POIs - I deleted them > OK but there they were when I checked.
It was only after I had a cup of strong coffee that I realised I had locked the SD card last time.....Whoops! Anyway all is well now after I unlocked the D.......d thing.

I mention the above as we are all human Question and someone out there might have the same problem one day.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit to being as uncertain as ever on which unit to buy. I have read the ComputerActive reviews on the various Sat Nav devices, two of which is the NavMan Premium and the Mio269. This is about the third review I have read where these two units have gone head to head, and on each occasion the Mio gets the thumbs up not the NavMan. Pricing seems to do the NavMan no favours at all - always quoted as being overpriced. Given the NavMan uses the Mio hardware one does wonder if the reviewers do have a point. Another minus against the NavMan again mentioned every time is the screen which gets criticised for showing reflections and being difficult to read in bright light conditions. It's a pity we can't hear more from Mio users to read what their experience is of owning and using this particular GPS device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: