Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SanDisk 256Mb + WiFi SDIO Card / Mio168.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SanDisk 256Mb + WiFi SDIO Card / Mio168.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: SanDisk 256Mb + WiFi SDIO Card / Mio168. Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone advise whether or not a SanDisk 256Mb + WiFi SDIO Card works successfully with a Mio168. I'd like to install GPS software onto one of these removing the need to unplug the SD Card that contains GPS software bought with a Mio168 but understand that there have been incompatibility issues with this particular WiFi SDIO Card with on-board 258Mb Memory.

Does anyone know of the cheapest U.K. source for a WiFi SDIO Card with or without on-board 256Mb Memory (just in case the on-board 256Mb Memory is indeed problematic)?.

Thank you.
Best Regards.

http://www.itx-weather.co.uk
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mio168 and Sandisk 256Mb WiFi card and it works fine.

Only "problem" is that you to remove and re-insert the WiFi card after a reset - never understood why.
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gripp wrote:

Only "problem" is that you to remove and re-insert the WiFi card after a reset - never understood why.

Hi Gripp,

Thank you for your reply and for confirming that a Sandisk 256Mb WiFi Card works on a Mio168. much appreciated. Any idea's where wireless streaming software can be downloaded from to stream MP3's from an MP101 to a Mio168?.

Thank you.
Best Regards.

itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gripp wrote:

Hi Gripp,

Forgot to ask, are you able to browse the internet, send & receive e-mails etc.. as you normally would do on a desktop PC or notebook PC with the Sandisk 256Mb WiFi card installed in your Mio168?. Haven't surfed the internet or sent & received e-mails on a PocketPC so haven't got any previous experience on configuring etc.. Is the Sandisk 256Mb WiFi card set-up the same way as a PCCard or PCI WLAN Card would otherwise be set-up?.

Thank you.
Best Regards.

gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ITX,

I'm not sure about MP3 streaming, but you can certainly stream Internet radio sites like www.shoutcast.com. I use the free and excellent GSplayer for both streaming and playing back MP3 files that I've tranferred from the PC to SD card (using a card-reader, not streamed). I too would be interested to know how I could stream directly from PC to Mitac using WiFi.

Yes, you can browse the Internet, albeit rather slowly. The full functionality of some sites is sometimes restricted because of the limitations of the pocket IE browser.

Because you can set ActiveSync to work over WiFi, you can receive emails and be notified when they arrive. There are also a couple free POP3 clients that work too. However, I've not yet managed to SEND emails because I don't know of any SMTP client for PDAs.

Two other programs that I use over WiFi are AvantGo and Ilium's NewBreak.

I can also do Sprite backups over WiFi.

This means that after I've switched the PC off at night (but with the BT Voyager 2100 powered on) I can lie in bed and catch up with the latest news headlines, check emails, check Newsgroups while listening to music - all thanks to my SanDisk WiFi card.

I can also sit in the park at the end of the road and sometimes get a connection to one of the many unprotected routers (so many people are not aware of how to set up their router's security) and surf in the sun. Only problem is that the screen is difficult to see in bright sunlight!

In fact, I am now 100% reliant on WiFi for ALL connectivity to the PC because somehow the connector at the bottom of the Mio is damaged and although it will charge up OK, the PC will not recognise it as a valid USB device.

Hope all this rambling helps!
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is the Sandisk 256Mb WiFi card set-up the same way as a PCCard or PCI WLAN Card would otherwise be set-up?. "

Forgot to say: Sandisk card comes with drivers (latest version on their website) which you install on the PC whilst the PDA is connected and it installs the drivers onto the Mitac. Fairly standard stuff if I remember.
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gripp wrote:
Hi ITX,

I'm not sure about MP3 streaming, but you can certainly stream Internet radio sites like www.shoutcast.com. I use the free and excellent GSplayer for both streaming and playing back MP3 files that I've tranferred from the PC to SD card (using a card-reader, not streamed). I too would be interested to know how I could stream directly from PC to Mitac using WiFi.

Yes, you can browse the Internet, albeit rather slowly. The full functionality of some sites is sometimes restricted because of the limitations of the pocket IE browser.

Because you can set ActiveSync to work over WiFi, you can receive emails and be notified when they arrive. There are also a couple free POP3 clients that work too. However, I've not yet managed to SEND emails because I don't know of any SMTP client for PDAs.

Two other programs that I use over WiFi are AvantGo and Ilium's NewBreak.

I can also do Sprite backups over WiFi.

This means that after I've switched the PC off at night (but with the BT Voyager 2100 powered on) I can lie in bed and catch up with the latest news headlines, check emails, check Newsgroups while listening to music - all thanks to my SanDisk WiFi card.

I can also sit in the park at the end of the road and sometimes get a connection to one of the many unprotected routers (so many people are not aware of how to set up their router's security) and surf in the sun. Only problem is that the screen is difficult to see in bright sunlight!

In fact, I am now 100% reliant on WiFi for ALL connectivity to the PC because somehow the connector at the bottom of the Mio is damaged and although it will charge up OK, the PC will not recognise it as a valid USB device.

Hope all this rambling helps!

Hi Gripp,

Thank you for your reply. An interesting read.

GSPlayer sounds good.

Have heard of AvantGo but am not sure what it does, not heard of Ilium's NewBreak (do you have any URLs please or is it best to do a google search?).

Just had a quick read through what's included with the MyGuide Navigator 6500XL from Lidl, am unsure whether to buy a Mio168 or one of these :-(.
The MyGuide Navigator is from what i've been lead to understand a Mio168 but with Falk Navigator etc.. etc.. They claim to have an External USB Antenna and seperate External Navigation Antenna in their flyer dated 30th May but there was no mention of two Antenna's on the box.

Any idea's why there would be two seperate Antenna's as well as a built-in Antenna?. Perhaps this is a typo error on their flyer.

Lidl claim that the pre-installed Falk navigation is installed in Flash ROM, guess this would remove the need to source a Sandisk SDIO 802.11b WLAN + 256Mb on-board memory, only an SDIO 802.11b WLAN Card?.
(or have I misread this?).

Not sure whether or not the MyGuide Navigator 6500XL is or is not a good buy @ £279.00. Any suggestions?.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Best Regards.

RussellS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi itxweather,

See my post here (12th post down) as it describes the differences between the Mio and the MyGuide units.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21286&highlight=lidl

There is just one external antenna that plugs into a small connector on the built in antenna. There is no USB one. The external antenna is in case you have a heat reflective windscreen which apparently blocks the satellite signal. Personally, I have never had to use it (I don't have a heat reflective windscreen).

I thought that mine was an extremely good buy at £199 (two weeks ago). If the price has now gone up to £279 I would, perhaps, need to think a little more about it.

Regards

Russell

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: