Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom HP Navigation Pack OR TomTom Go 300
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom HP Navigation Pack OR TomTom Go 300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike2k111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: TomTom HP Navigation Pack OR TomTom Go 300 Reply with quote

Hey im looking into my first GPS navigation system and have narrowed it down to the TomTom HP Navigation Pack OR TomTom Go 300. Which would you recommend as the HP navigation pack has the HP Ipaq Rz1710 PDA. I know both can download the Speed Camera locations ok but ive heard that te memory on the Rz1710 is small in comparison. Although the advantage of a PDA would be useful if theres not much between the 2 in terms of GPS quality and facilities....Bit long winded but basically which is the better overall package and why. Thanks. Mike

Found the TomTom GO 300 for £330 and the HP Pack for £284 on Ebay.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GO has a much better speaker, and the RZ1710 has the potential to do more than just navigation. It really depends if you want a single-purpose device or if you want the flexibility of a Pocket PC.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Mike2k111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you say that the TomTom GO is considerably better than the HP pack or is the difference not so great? I mean if they are close in Sat Nav GPS quality then id be tempted to for the added PDA function with it being cheaper too? Im kind of new to this whole thing so im not sure where to start. With them running the same software can i assume that the map database is the same? I know the HP pack doesnt to postcode search tho. Also how easy is it to get a higher capacity SD card and transfer everything over. Thanks
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike2k111 wrote:
Would you say that the TomTom GO is considerably better than the HP pack or is the difference not so great? I mean if they are close in Sat Nav GPS quality then id be tempted to for the added PDA function with it being cheaper too? Im kind of new to this whole thing so im not sure where to start. With them running the same software can i assume that the map database is the same? I know the HP pack doesnt to postcode search tho. Also how easy is it to get a higher capacity SD card and transfer everything over. Thanks

Remember that the GO is all one unit whereas the PDA solution you have the PDA itself seperate from the GPS receiver, this may or may not be a problem for you depending on how you want things set up.

Which HP pack are you looking at? If it is one of the one versions, which you seem to suggest because it doesn't have postcode look up, I wouldn't bother with it, it's quite outdated now and doesn't any anywhere near the amount of features in the software that the TomTomGO 300 does.

If you can get a new version of the Navigator pack with version 5 of the software then this would be a better idea.

Personally, given the choice I would probably go for the GO unit, potentially more reliable, and the PDA in this instance is so low spec I wonder how much use it would be as a PDA?

You really do get what you pay for Wink
Mike2k111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaks mate. I think il go with the tom tom go 300 then. The HP pack was the one with the HP Ipaq 1710 PDA. Ive heard that this is a low end PDA and i wouldnt really be using it as a PDA jus would have been a useful extra if the software packages had been similar in quality. Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make it clear - the TomTom software on both devices is exactly the same (if you ignore the operating system), the processor speed and available memory too. Those should not be the deciding factors. But the other items are - ease of use with the all-in-one device, low specs for serious Pocket PC applications etc.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Just to make it clear - the TomTom software on both devices is exactly the same (if you ignore the operating system), the processor speed and available memory too. Those should not be the deciding factors. But the other items are - ease of use with the all-in-one device, low specs for serious Pocket PC applications etc.

I was under the impression that the HP Navigation pack runs the stripped down, very basic V4 S/W & the Go 300 runs V5 S/W with full postcode search?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is stopping you from upgrading the the 1710 to TomTom Navigator 5 - the upgrade should be free for v4 users (I think)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Crocodile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Nothing is stopping you from upgrading the the 1710 to TomTom Navigator 5 - the upgrade should be free for v4 users (I think)

So just to clarify, your statement that the HP Navigation Pack & Go 300 use the same software was inaccurate.

There IS something preventing the upgrade to Navigator V5, it doesn't exist yet! As for it being a free upgrade for Navigation Pack users, that is pure speculation as the upgrade policy has changed several times & is not yet published.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see it this way - yes, my statement was inaccurate. Let's see what the near future brings.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same question a few months ago and have accidently ended up with an Ipaq 4700 and Bluetooth GPS.

Have had shed loads more fun with the PDA beyond the Satnav side of things althoough I would appreciate a better speaker and built in aerial for the GPS.

However my setup kicks the Navigation packs ass (took it back after a week) because of several things. The problem with the navigation bundle is that PDA is a wired GPS which is annoying and fiddly, it ONLY works when plugged into the cradle in the car so you MUST have the cradle set up (no use for walking and annyong to carry from car to car) and it has no BT or WIFI capabailities. BT is handy as I can use my phone headset for voice for the satnav if the car is noisy or I want to have the radio on full blast (also the PDA doesn't have to be on the windscreen as long as the GPS is on the dash and I can just listen to instuctions).

Out of the car I can carry the GPS in one pocket and the PDA in another and walk about town listening through the headset to where I need to go (which actually doesn't work all that well walking as TomTom seems to get confused what direction I am going)

I still wonder if a Go would have been better for the integrated unit and better speaker than my current set up but have watched movies, used Memory Maps, read books and surfed the net on my PDA for 70-80% of the time I have used it since new.

Anyways- Go is better than the bundle you are looking at but may be worth looking for a PDA with BT and the Tom Tom BT GPS.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: