Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go 300: Signal loss & Map Errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go 300: Signal loss & Map Errors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go 300: Signal loss & Map Errors Reply with quote

Hi i am just wondering if anyone else who has the new Tomtom Go 300 is having any problems.Several times i have lost signal. I was about to return home from Fordcombe in Kent when i turned on my tomtom i had to wait over 20 minutes before i could get a signal which meant i was stranded as i did not have a clue which direction to go. (I know what you are thinking but hey that's why i bought a tomtom)

More recently i was on my way back from Croydon when not only did i lose connection to satellite 17 times but tomtom told me to turn down a one way street the wrong way, the junction in question was not a new one as far as i could find out which begs the question just how up to date are the maps.
Anyone else who is having similar problems please let me know.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of car is it installed in?
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go 300 Signal Problems Reply with quote

It is installed in a Vauxhall Vectra 2003 model.
Jim-Bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have clasic GO and I usualy find if it has been turned off for a bit it takes a fiew mins before it gets and keeps a signal. I usually just end up guessing a direction to drive in to start with. After that it is usualy keeps signal very well.
SHC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had this problem to your extent but I do lose the signal for maybe a minute or so. Even on a straight road in good weather. It can be irritating if it happens just as a turn is coming up. My car is a Fiat Stilo by the way.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have v5 s/w installed you can check the signal strength (signal-to-noise ratio - SNR) for the visible satellites on the GPS screen. If you have less than three satellites you will never get a lock. If the signal strength is below 30, getting the lock is difficult. The best solution is to find a spot where the GO can see at least four satellites and at least two of them have the signal above 35.

Also it is worth checking if the SNR is massively (5-6 dB) different inside and outside the car. If it is it would indicate that either you GO is badly positioned on the dashboard or you have a windscreen which attenuates the GPS signal.

A GPS receiver can also be affected by the nearby sources of RF radiation, including other GPS receivers, computers, GSM basestations and PDAs.
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 300 Signal Problems Reply with quote

Would you believe it, Vauxhall still have not got back to me to tell me if I have or have not got a Reflective windscreen. All it says in the handbook is only available on certain models so i still dont know if my windscreen is causing my Tomtom Go 300 to play up or not. Good old Vauxhall take your money and then dont want too know you. If anyone out there can find out if a 2003 Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 Elagance Hatch has got a HEAT reflective winscreen then please let me know. Email me direct at jimbokb@hotmail.com

Thanks
stix
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan A to B still works even without a signal doesn't it??? If you're stuck without a signal, at least this would give you an idea of which direction to set off in........
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom 300 Signal Problems Reply with quote

jimbokb wrote:
i still dont know if my windscreen is causing my Tomtom Go 300 to play up or not.

As I said - check your SNR levels inside and outside the car
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Go 300 Signal Problems Reply with quote

Tomtom Go 300 comes with V.5 S/W installed. Most of the time I seem to get only 2 satellites the it may jump to 4 and sometimes 6, but generally only 2. I have checked the SNR and most of the time it barley makes it to 30 (This test is done inside my house with unit next to an open window as my car is at the garage getting serviced at this time). I have noticed that there is a configure option what, how and when would you use this option.

I also wonder if my bluetooth fone Nokia 7610 (which I use in conjunction with my Tomtom for real time traffic updates may in some way interfering with the unit, I know it should not but hey you never know.

Thanks to Eldar for input it has been very helpful.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Go 300: Signal loss & Map Errors Reply with quote

jimbokb wrote:
Hi i am just wondering if anyone else who has the new Tomtom Go 300 is having any problems.Several times i have lost signal. I was about to return home from Fordcombe in Kent when i turned on my tomtom i had to wait over 20 minutes before i could get a signal which meant i was stranded as i did not have a clue which direction to go. (I know what you are thinking but hey that's why i bought a tomtom)

Anyone else who is having similar problems please let me know.

I get a similar problem in my C5 (it has heat reflecting windscreen) - I find it works OK if I put it in the centre console (between front seats) - 4 or 5 bars normally but obviously I can't see it (can hear it though) - put it on the dash where I can see it and I experience the same as you are.

I am waiting for an external Aerial - Based on the TomTom working OK away from screen, I expect the aerial to improve things.
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo

How many satellites can you lock with the unit outside the car? This would help you find out if the windscreen is interfering. It may be a faulty unit? Other things to consider are buying an external aerial or having a GPS re-radiating aerial fitted to the car.
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re Tomtom Go 300 signal Problems Reply with quote

JimmyTheHand

It is good to know that I am not the only one with signal problems.
When you get your aerial i would be grateful if you could let me know if things improve and which aerial you bought.
If you dont mind could you email me direct at jimbokb@hotmail.com

Cheers
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: RE:Tomtom 300 Signal Problems Reply with quote

ROSSB

I have not thought of trying the unit outside the car then inside to see if there is a difference. i will give that a go and get back to you.

With regard to locking on most of the time I cant get more than a signal of 29 on two satellites which I have been told is just not good enough to lock, i need at least 3 satellites with 30 + on each satellite for a lock, most of the time that just don't happen.
mark-yorkshire
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new TTG 300 on average takes anything from 30 secs to a couple of minutes to lock on to gps . It definitely seems to take longer on cloudier days. I frequently lose the signal during journeys but usually only for a few seconds.
The maps have some errors e.g roads that have been blocked by bollards for a few years so as to create dead ends.
Mark-Yorkshire

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: