Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Brodit recomendations sought
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Brodit recomendations sought

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyjenkins
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Brodit recomendations sought Reply with quote

Any Brodit mount users around here ?

I'm looking for a car mount for my iPAQ HX4700 to fit into my 2005 Mondeo. From some searching, some of the best mounts seem to be Brodit.

One requirement I have is that whereever I position the mount, I'm able to swivel it such that I can angle the iPAQ towards me (both for avoiding sunlight problems) and towards the passenger seat so the wife can use the PDA whilst its in the mount.

I see that Brodit do specify units that swivel, specifically for avoiding sun glare, but I'm cusious how well this works, and would it swivel sufficiently for a passenger to use the device ?

"How a wide of a degree of swivel does a Brodit go" I guess is my question.
Tewy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Brodit recomendations sought Reply with quote

Andy,

I use a Mitac Mio 168 complete with Brodit Active Holder Mount. Total cost just under £50 for mounting bracket and holder.

Kit is excellent, fits well and very solid allowing swivelling as stated. Only problem is getting hold of kit, I ordered mine through Handnav and hadgreat difficulties in getting the items. I spent many hours with e-mails (all unanswered) and attempting to get through by phone)

Hope this helps

Tewy
semrots
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have used their active mount with a HP2210 in a Mondeo. Worked well, its v. solidily mounted, and it does swivel OK, again very robust. Mine was mounted top centre right using the proclip (i.e. over the right hand airvent in centre ), certainly easy to fit, and virtually no trace when taken out. The proclip was cut away at bottom to allow access to the two push buttons for the heated screens on my Mondeo, so access to them was alright, but I couldn't always see if the warning lights in the the buttons were on. (I think yours if a 2005 model only has one button there for hazards following the facelift, so that isn't an issue - even if a small one?) I'm assuming the proclip hasn't had to be altered for the facelift.

I've just got an Avensis and bought another proclip to move the mount to it. Again easy to fit and solid.

As regards supply from Handnav - I think they are the only UK supplier. When I purchased the lot for the Mondeo I rang up and did it over the phone, and they explained the holder was in stock, but the pro clip would be about a week, as they carried limited stock due to the vast number and types (see the Brodt www.!!!), and so ordered most in direct from Brodit to supply. Sure enough mount came straightaway with proclip about 5 days behind.

For the Avensis, which I've just fitted, I ordered the proclip on line. I got an acknowledgement of the order from Worldpay their card processor, and then a couple of days later from Handnav, where there seemed to have been a couple of days delay before processing my order. Proclip then arrived about 5 days later. Admittedly no explanation from Handnav that there'd be a lag between acknowledging order and despatch (i.e. whilst they got one off Brodit) but I was expecting this in view of discussion when my first order was placed. My card wasn't debited until the goods were despatched. They have on line order tracking, but it wasn't that informative, and as with the first order I got an advice from Worldpay that my card had been debited the day before the goods arrived, with Handnav's e-mail the day after receipt!

So to summarise, I'd whole heartedly recommend the Brodit, and as for Handnav, well I have no real issues, 1st time round at the phone I was aware of what was happening and why there might be a split order with a delay, and had that knowledge for the latest order. Suggest maybe you ring to order and clarify when goods may be shipped? They were certainly good at the phone explaining some of the differences in the holders, which I wasn't too clear about.

Usual disclaimers re associations with Brodit and Handnav.

Hope this helps

Rod
donga11
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: what mount to use Reply with quote

I recently bought a brodit mount with a proclip on a swivel action.
I got it from Handnav who promised next day delivery but alas one week later it arrived.
I bought the model for my Renault Clio, which fits over the left middle vent.
It is very well built but it did not fit snug to my car.
I had to take the dash top cover off and cut out a slight piece otherwise the clip when pushed under that item would have left the rest of it raised up looking awful.
The bottom part of the bracket with a sticky patch on it was supposed to stick near the radio; it did not even touch the part it was supposed to stick too.
I had to remove the radio and put a very small screw through it and into the underside of the radio recess.
Just as well it can’t be seen.
All in all im glad I got it as I was sick of my pda flying about all over my car when I took a corner.
If I sell my car I will have to acquire the dash top cover so I will check out the scrappers for that.
It does look good now ive sorted it and the model I got has a detachable charger connection so I don’t have to have the charging wire trailing if I don’t want it connected. But that came for a few dollars more.
The swivel is good and there is a centre Philips screw that you can tweak to stiffen or loosen as required.
Hope this helps.
h5djr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an iPAQ 2210 mounted in an active Brodit mount in my Audi A3. The mount is hardwired so there are no trailing cables. Mine was fitted by a local mobile phone installer. They ordered the mount and came out to my house to fit it. They did not use the Proclip bit a metal bracket fiited behind the radio/air con controls. A very neat and tidy job. The mount is firm and swivels and easily for my wife to use when she is the navigator. Brodit have a good website www.brodit.com where you can enter you vehicle type and it will show the mounts and mounting positions for your particular vehicle together with fitting instructions. Very pleased with the whole setup.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: