Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driving across country borders
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving across country borders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thekirbyfake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Driving across country borders Reply with quote

I'll shortly be driving to Holland through UK, France & Belgium.

I've installed the maps (or at least the parts of the maps) I need for the journey and wondered whether there was any way that you could drive without having to switch maps at the border?

HTC TyTn; TT6 BT; 1Gb SanDisk MicroSD
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For routing between countries, the 'Major Roads of Europe (MRE)' map is the only way as this allows cross border routing but is limited to major highways detail only. You will still need to switch to the local country map for the last few miles of your journey though.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
thekirbyfake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

Guess I'll just have to change the maps at border control. It's only a couple of clicks but I'm lazy!

I wanted it partly to find out how long the journey would take but a friend has just directed me to MAPORAMA which does that for you.

HTC TyTn; TT6 BT; 1Gb SanDisk MicroSD
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Map 24 which is much more fluid and interactive. The zoom functionality is impressive.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
paulbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done exactly the same journey (UK to Holland, via France and Belgium). The MRE map will get you into Holland flawlessly, pretty much as soon as you drive off Le Shuttle.

I'm sure that when I switched from MRE to Holland maps, Tom Tom retained the same destination information, so just carried on navigating, but with the Holland map - I didn't have to re-enter the destination.

I had a small problem in Antwerp. I stopped off there on the way back, and navigated to my meeting with the Belgium maps. However, upon trying to get back to Calais, I realised I had a problem: to use the Belgium map, you need to know where you want to go (duh, obvious, right?) but the Belgium maps didn't know about Calais. And if I loaded the MRE map, it didn't have any of the city centre roads on it, so was no use at all. What I should have done is picked a town on the route between Antwerp and France, and navigated to that, in hindsight. Didn't help that Antwerp is full of roadworks, diversions, and closed roads at the moment.

It's also very strange leaving a country, and seeing the roads come to and end on the display in front of you. Well worth doing that for the entertaininment factor alone!
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use viaMichelin and put POIs at the border crossings on both countries after working out the route. Works a treat.

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: