Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I buy bluetooth GPS for TOMTOM Mobile or wait for V5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I buy bluetooth GPS for TOMTOM Mobile or wait for V5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rimmer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Should I buy bluetooth GPS for TOMTOM Mobile or wait for V5 Reply with quote

Hi

I have recently been given TomTom Mobile (old version) for my Nokia 6600 from an uncle who has just upgraded to a PDA version of TOMTOM. The thing is he has kept the bluetooth GPS reciever so atm it's no use to me.
However I am going away at the end of the month and would like to have some sort of TOMTOM software for then.
I have spoken to TOMTOM and they tell me V5 will be available at the end of the month and retailers will have it a couple of weeks later.

I have noticed on the reviews that
Quote:
TomTom announced to the PocketGPSWorld.com team at CeBit that the upgrade for existing Mobile customers would be free of charge. However no official statement has been made in form of a press release, so please do not accept this as cast in stone

The thing is I don't fance spending approx £100 on a bluetooth GPS reciever if it's gonna be available at the end of the month and I cant buy it without hardware.

If I end up having to buy a bluetooth GPS reciever can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase one and which model shall I go for and how much will it cost.

Thanks
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new TomTom receiver will have a SiRF III chipset, so you will want to go for something equivalent - like the Globalsat BT-338 which we reviewed recently.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Rimmer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this work with the nokia 6600 and the old version of TOMTOM mobile, as I have seen on a sale on ebay the following comment .....

From Ebay BT-77 Bluetooth GPS Receiver with Nemerix chip http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=69928&item=5185291913&rd=1

Quote:
Frequently Asked Questions

Does it work with nokia 6600? Yes it does work with nokias like 6600 and other nokias with route 66 and TomTom mobile, for TomTom mobile , some files might need to be replaced on the phone

What does this mean exactly?

I just want to make sure that the GPS reciever I buy will definately be compatible with the old version of TOmTOm mobile.

Thanks
Rimmer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried searching stores in the uk but the BT-338 seems a little hard to source Sad
Also at £160.98 inc VAT seems a little steep, as TOMTOM mobile comes in at around £175 but I guess you get what you pay for :/

Any ideas who may have one in stock or can you recommend any others?

Thanks
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could try Easy Devices the BT338 page is HERE
Rimmer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info but they're out of stock.
Problem is that I go away on the 22nd April and would like to have the use of TT mobile. TT support tell me that the V5 will not be on sale by then so I'm gonna go with the old version but as the recommended bluetooth GPS is out of stock, what would be your next suggestion as to a GPS reciever?

And retailer if possible ;)

Also I wasn't too sure on spending £160 on a GPS unit as TT are not sure if they will be releasing TT mobile V5 software only. Therefore I'd have to buy the complete package having just spent £160 on a new GPS reciever.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: