Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice needed - software and CF GPS for Dell Axim X50?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed - software and CF GPS for Dell Axim X50?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SRB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Advice needed - software and CF GPS for Dell Axim X50? Reply with quote

I am new to GPS navigation, and this web site is helping clear up some of my confusion. I need some wise counsel, though, in selecting nav software and CompactFlash GPS receiver for a Dell Axim X50.

Thanks to user comments on Pocket GPS World, I will steer clear of the Pharos Pocket GPS Navigator that Dell is pushing. What would be better choices? Key factors:

For use primarily in North America, most often to navigate driving, but some walking. Europe/Japan/Australia coverage would be helpful but less essential.

GPS receiver:
Need something small and light, easily used in many different types of rental cars. A rugged, lightweight CompactFlash GPS receiver that drains little power would be good.

Nav software:
Plan routes directly on the PDA
Automatic re-routing when I miss turns and get lost
Manual re-routing
Audible directions (BEFORE it's time to turn!)
Select starting points/destinations from Outlook Contact list, or postal codes/ZIP codes
Minimal need for screen taps and such while driving
User interface feasible for fingertip taps, or better still, can support the hardware buttons

CoPilot and TomTom Navigator seem promising, but can one pick origin and destination directly on the PDA? Based on their web sites, it looks as though one picks the route on a PC, then downloads maps and route to the PDA. Also, can either of these be used with a CompactFlash GPS receiver? Others to consider?

I would greatly appreciate advice and recommendations about nav software and CF GPS receivers.

Thanks!

Scott
celltherapy@ac-gt.com
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome Smile

Firstly I would strongly urge you consider a bluetooth GPS receiver, new models have 20hr battery life which far exceeds the battery life of the PDA, are extremely sensitive (the new SiRFIII models will get reliable fixes indoors and have start up times in the 10 -15 sec region). CF receivers cannot match these figures and a BT GPS is far more versatile for many reasons.

As for software, whilst CoPilot does have a PC Client, all its functions can be accessed on the PocketPC and there is no necessity to use the PC client at all so long as the maps are already loaded on the PDA. TomTom has no PC client and is entirely driven from the PDA.

Both are good solutions and whilst I prefer TomTom which has the best user interface of any, you would be best advised to read the reviews and make your own decision.
cheddar-caveman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya. I am also using the Dell Axim X50 as both a car navigator and when out walking. In car I have the TT3 software and this incoorporates a GPS programme.
My receiver is the Bluetooth BT77 which I bought off eBay for £50. This is a very small, compact receiver with EXCELLENT reception even in fairly deep wooded areas when out walking. It has a long battery life, around 20 hours on one charge.
In car I have a small patch of Velcro on the dash and on the back of the BT77 which holds it safely as it is so light. When walking I put the BT77 under my hat, on my head, where it always has a good clear sky view!!
Hope this helps!
SRB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your speedy response. The information about running the CoPilot and TomTom nav programs directly from the PDA helps a great deal.

A Bluetooth GPS receiver is an interesting possibility I had not considered. I can see the advantages of greater sensitivity and battery life with a Bluetooth unit, but wouldn't this necessitate adding another power adapter to my travel kit? I had planned to use the iGo Juice adapter to power the Axim/CF-GPS from the automobile cigarette lighter. Are there similar alternatives for powering a Bluetooth GPS receiver? Any recommendations for specific Bluetooth GPS receivers?

Thanks again.

Scott
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SRB wrote:
I can see the advantages of greater sensitivity and battery life with a Bluetooth unit, but wouldn't this necessitate adding another power adapter to my travel kit? I had planned to use the iGo Juice adapter to power the Axim/CF-GPS from the automobile cigarette lighter. Are there similar alternatives for powering a Bluetooth GPS receiver? Any recommendations for specific Bluetooth GPS receivers?

Why use the iGo juice adapter? They are designed for powering laptops. A much simpler 12v cigarette lighter adapter will work much better? The BT GPS would normally run on battery power alone and only needs charging either at home or in the car every few days, again they come with a 12v adapter to do this and some come with mains adapters also.

The best current BT GPS is the new Globalsat BT338 SiRFIII. SiRFIII brings superb sensitivity and much improved aquisition speed. Other good older units are the Fortuna Clip-On, Leadtek 9537 and Globalsat BT308 although there are many more.
SRB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, cheddar-caveman and Darren for your helpful comments.

Securing the Bluetooth GPS receiver with velcro, as cheddar describes, sounds like a good idea, but may not be feasible for rental cars. Perhaps a clip to attach the receiver to the sun visor? I'm going to buy a hat to hold the receiver when I'm walking, though.

The Juice power adapter seemed reasonable, as I ordinarily carry a laptop, cell phone, PDA, and a Juice unit to power all of these. I travel often, and some 3-day trips unexpectedly last 3 weeks, so I try to keep gadgets and power cables to a minimum (still looking for a good analog/digital PDA-phone). Still, if a Bluetooth GPS receiver would be significantly better than CompactFlash, then perhaps it's worth carrying it, and the 12-v adapter cable. Just hoping the GPS can be simple, functional, small and lightweight. Anyone know how much the BT-338 weighs?

Thanks again,

Scott
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the BT GPS's (inc the BT 338) have a rubberised base so don't need anyything to secure them to the dash. I regularly have two or three on the dash of my car and they stay where they're put fine.

I'm not sure how much it weighs, the battery accounts for much of it bit it is small, onlly 72.5mm × 40.4mm × 23mm. It uses the same charger as Nokia cellphones. See our review here.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: