Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What happened to TomTom Navigator 4?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to TomTom Navigator 4?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
appolospb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: What happened to TomTom Navigator 4? Reply with quote

Sorry i am quite new to GPS so i may have missed something very obvious here. I have a few questions regarding TomTom Navigator:

1) What happened to version 4?. They seem to have skipped from version 3 straight to version 5. I cant seem to find any mention of a version 4 on the forums or google.

2) When is version 5 of TomTom Navigator UK (Great Britain) being released?

Thanks

Appolospb
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom4 was the first version of the "common platform" TomTom. It was available in the USA as TomTom Navigator 2004, and in the UK with the HP Navigation bundle.

It was never on general release for use with pocket pc's.

Hope that helps.
appolospb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info, cant understand why they released a new version and didnt distribute it globally though. Skipping straight to version 5 seems a bit silly to me.
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could have been a limited test release or somethign along those lines.

USA was still only upto TomTom2. But we've been running TomTom 3 for almost year now. Even though theres a lot of improved features in TomTom 4, such as the navigation display runs much smoother, theres a lot of features missing, and there would have been a lot of unhappy people had they paid another £30-£40 upgrade for TomTom 4, only to discover features they like from TT3 are missing. Plus with TomTom 5 around the corner, with all the features and more such as full postcode support, it makes no business sense to release a half finished product such as TomTom 4 to the PocketPC market.

Thats just my opinion though.
carina16a
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I missed something? Going to the 'About Navigator' menu item, it tells me thatI am using TomTom Navigator App Version 4,100 (1874). It also says that the map is 'Great-Britain-Map' v300. I would have said that this all means I am using Navigator Version 4, or have I missed something?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom stated at CeBIT last year when they announced Navigator 3 that they would not release a PDA upgrade untill they had the full functionality of the V3 product in the new software. This did not happen untill version 5.

In the meantime they released a version for Palm, then GO, then Mobile. This was based on a different architecture, and they tried very hard not to call it Navigator 4 so it was called TomTom Navigator for Palm, then TomTom GO then TomTom Mobile.

Towards the end of last year they released a new software and hardware bundle which was TomTom Navigator HP edition, this was the first time that the Version 4 software appeared on a PocketPC platform, but you couldnt buy it individually. Carina16a I assume this is the version that you have. TomTom have never admitted that this was version 4. It is TomTom Navigator HP Edition Laughing

Finally at this years CeBIT TomTom announced the upgrade to version 3. This now has common functionality with the other products and 98% of the functionality of V3 plus lots of other bits. Now they couldnt call it V4 so they just skipped a number. Now every TomTom Navigator product shares a common numbering system as well as common functionality.
appolospb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies. Back to my 2nd question. Does anyone know the release date of version 5 in the UK?.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the TomTom directors quoted me 1 to 2 weeks last friday. I think that until they actually officially name the day we shouldnt expect too much.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: