Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: USA Maps Reply with quote

Sorry to post this here - but for the life of me I cannot remember where I saw a posting on this matter before (it was quite a while ago and only vaguely remembered)

My wife and I are going to the USA to visit her family etc in about 7 weeks - all very nice, but I may not want to spend quite as much time as her with the incidental more removed relatives, the close ones yes, but not the distant cousins etc. As it is my holiday too, I would like to do a few to a few touristy things and visit some attractions in the state. Here is where satnav comes in.

I currently have TTN3 and would love to have the USA maps for TomTom, but I thinks it's a tad OTT to spend £100+ for a 2 week holiday.

I am sure that I saw somewhere on these forums a place recommended where you can download maps/software for a trial period (which work independantly of TomTom) - which would be fine for the 2 week period - I would not be being dishonest here, as, if the software works well, then I may very well buy it for future visits, but after my experience in the UK with TomTom, I want to see what I get before I buy.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to trial Mapopolis as you can get a free trial period on the maps which are downloadable from their site. With Mapopolis you pay for the maps, the application is free.

I used Mapopolis last year in Florida, and it worked great.

http://www.mapopolis.com/
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the fella!! :D

Cheers parky mate!

Just what I was looking for

Steve
Fobe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveg wrote:
That's the fella!! :D

Cheers parky mate!

Just what I was looking for

Steve

Ther's more, Destinator 3 is available for 1 month, completely for about $ 15.00 + UPS (don't laugh, thats an even 19 bucks) so for 34 dollar you can storm the us, country roads and all and the possibility of making your own maps, ready for travel. Want something even better ? Get Street and maps FREE for one month, the maps are printable and A1, on the PC and downloadable on the PPC. Mind you, I still have problems on my 4700 finding a tiny sattelite (HI 401 BTS) I'm so fed-up with the shebang that I propably will start using maps again, at least they don't need a battery or five... Any ideas ?
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Fobe & and thaks, But er... where can I download or find details of this then? If you can be so kind

Cheers

Steve
Fobe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveg wrote:
Nice one Fobe & and thaks, But er... where can I download or find details of this then? If you can be so kind

Cheers

Steve

Well, just go to the ole microsoft.com and try Streets & Trips 2005 with GPS Locator Trial, you can use it free for ONE month, so if you're on holiday for two weeks, it will give you another two weeks to develop your stay in maps and POI's . Neat isn't ? For Destinator there was a program that you could buy the software and use it for a month for as little as 15 dollars on the US webside (march 2005) US or European maps. I ordered it because I'm in the US from April 23rd till May 11th, meaning that I can't use it till April 11th, but that's ok with me, S&T works fine, down here we call it Autoroute and even in the old version of 2003 it was possible to get a GPS fix to show you where one was. If I find more of those, i will let you know. And if you go overthere, use the local roads, there isn't a chicken on it. What you can't say about the Interstates. Time for my beauty sleep.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: