Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK 510 with US Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK 510 with US Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: UK 510 with US Maps Reply with quote

I've got the Uk version of the 510 and we are going to the US in September and will have a fair drive across 6 or 7 states.

I'm thinking of buying the US maps. Has anyone bought these and used them in the US? Does the unit run perfectly well in view of it being a UK unit (and US navigation using different terms?)

Thanks in advance.

Ian
goonerdan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a US version (bought from eBay!) and I've installed the UK maps and they work no problem, so I'm sure that they work fine the other way round too.
TheDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's at least reassuring.

Does your US version handle UK roundabout properly?

I was more worried about the unit "understanding" and dealing with US road concepts (e.g blocks, interstates, state borders, entry/exit ramps etc.)
goonerdan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It handles UK roundabouts just fine, because it is the UK maps that are installed, with the UK language settings. What I have discovered is that if I simultaneously have any European maps and American maps installed, I can choose either UK male/female or US male/female as the language. This then determines whether addresses are input by Region and Postcode or State and Zip Code.

Point of interest get muddled up if you have US and EU maps installed at the same time too. When you're going to go to America, take off all EU maps and just use US maps so that points of interest remain OK. I had to speak to Navman about this and they told me it's a known problem.

Hope this helps!
TheDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, thanks for letting me know that one. I have the original 256Mb card and a 1GB SD card so I could install UK maps onto the 256Mb card and put the US ones seperately onto the 1 GB card for the states I am going to.

When installing US maps or EU maps does it make any difference to the units files then? If so it might be wise to install the EU maps on the smaller SD card then install the US maps onto the 1GB card I guess, so at least it will work ok in US.

Confused
goonerdan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even sure if a 1gig SD card will work- have you tried it yet? Let me know if it does - i might upgrade.
TheDoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works fine, been using it 2 months. It's a Kingston 1GB card from ebuyer.co.uk. No issues, have got the whole europe basemap, UK & Ireland on it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: