Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Average Cost?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Average Cost?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacey2g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Average Cost? Reply with quote

i've just acquired an ipaq3660, and im thinkin of putting satnav on it, at the moment, my plans are to buy a bluetooth jacket, which has a cf slot in it, with a 256mb cf card, then a bluetooth gps receiver, and i'd like tomtom...

but, price im finding for this is around £200, is there ne way to beat this? i decided on bt jacket as this would bring it a bit more up to date, and let me link it to my phone, therefore id be killing 2 birds with one stone, i could jet get a bt gps receiver and software...

does £200 sound about right?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do better than £200. Try looking at one of the TomTom bundles for either wired or bluetooth. Better than messing on with bluetooth jackets and other such nonsense Smile
pacey2g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well problem is mainly that the ppc doesnt have a memory card slot built in, so id have to get a jacket in some description for storage, as bluetooth jacket with a built in cf slot i can get for £36 it made sense :P then a 1gb cf card - £40, and then i just need a bluetooth gps receiver, (if i can find tomtom somewhere else)
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Why not get that jacket and then buy the tomtom bluetooth package. You'll save on getting the software elsewhere.

I'm curious your pocket pc doesn't have any memory card slots at all? How rubbish is that?
pacey2g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its very old now :p i think we bought it in 2000, was my dads, and he's just upgraded to a newer model, so i've got his old one, needs a new stylus clip as the stylus falls out, but thats a £3 fix, and i guess memory cards were only used in digital cameras back then :P o well, it'll be good when i sort it all, i might try that tomtom traffic through bluetooth on my phone - even if the cost is around £180; thats not half bad compared to all-in-one gps systems :D
pacey2g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops plz delete mods Embarassed

Duplicate post deleted as requested. Thumbs Up
Privateer.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recommendations for a similar old iPAQ 3600 series machine, written recently, can be found in this thread

I believe the best thing is to retire such old hardware rather than spend money building up a new system around it. In particular, Bluetooth add-ons always seem to cause trouble (and they may well require the 3660 to be upgraded to Pocket PC 2002 to work at all - that upgrade is long since discontinued). If you want Bluetooth, in my opinion, you're better off starting with a modern machine with Bluetooth built in.

David
pacey2g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has 2002 on it, and ive managed to get hold of the tomtom software, so for £100ish dont u think its worth a shot? :P i cant afford £300 or more, i'm only really bothering at all because its so cheap, anyways... my next question is what's a decent car mount, that isnt a windscreen mount, doesnt cost as much as a brodit, and is preferably powered + with speaker?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount options, especially powered / speaker mounts, for the older iPAQs will be very limited - these machines were out of production before using Pocket PCs for in-car navigation was common. The base connectors are different to the 3800 series and onwards.

I take your point on the software. My concern is that certain hardware items, such as the mount, are machine specific. At the very least you'll have to buy a mount, some kind of expansion pack (the 3600 series have no built in memory card slot, so you'll need to act a CompactFlash slot) and find some way of connecting a GPS to the old iPAQ which is probably also machine specific. You'll probably spend a minimum of £60 on these items, which cannot be transferred to a newer machine. The GPS receiver itself is on top of that.

Before jumping into that, I'd compare the price of a Mio 168, as I suggested in the linked thread - the Mio 168 has the GPS receiver built in and a car mount supplied. Neither the Mio 168 nor the old iPAQ has Bluetooth built in, so they're equal there.

David
pacey2g
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there isn't bluetooth built in, but for a reasonable price yuo can buy a TDK bluepaq, an expansion jacket that has bluetooth functionality and auto-installs, also the bluepaq jacket comes with a CF slot too, so that would be very handy, could use it a) with a bt gps, and b) with my phone, and by using a bt gps i can use it in future too Smile

the mount is a problem though, i think im just gonna be cheap n get one of theclip.com mounts, and a separate car charger :P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: