Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - activate maps!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

activate maps!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
idriveatc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: activate maps! Reply with quote

Hi, i just brought tomtom on ebay and im having probelsm with it! First it saids no data installed then i figured out i have to update it. I updated it now it saids there are no maps installed! It saids please install and activate maps first. How do i do that? I installed the maps into my sd card. I have a NEW dell x30 axim with windows SECOND edition. PLEASE HELP THANKYOU I updated to versio 3.XX my cd is vs 2.xx
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a Product Code with your CD.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds remarkably like you've got a pirate or incomplete copy of TomTom Navigator from eBay. There's a lot around and a lot of people have been ripped off.

As Oldboy says, you should have a Product Code label with the package - if you haven't, then you don't have the legal right to use the software. The Product Code is used along with a Device Code that the software displays to get an Activation Code that activates the maps and software.

TomTom Navigator 2, if that's all you've got, is very unlikely to work on a WM2003SE machine like your Axim - even if you upgrade to GPS 3.07. Navigator 2 is very old now - the maps are over two years out of date. The upgrade deal to Navigator 3 has closed - and if you have a Navigator 2 pack, it may well have been used to upgrade to Navigator 3 already.

TomTom Navigator 3 will likely only work if you upgrade to Navigator 3.07 and GPS 3.07 - both of which are available on the TomTom web site. Though I've never seen one, I'm aware of some copies of TomTom Navigator 3 being sold on eBay with the activation system being broken - this crack breaks down when you upgrade to 3.07 (someone recently wasted a lot of time in the forums by saying they had problems upgrading to 3.07 and not admitting that they knew their copy of Navigator was pirated).

Buying any TomTom software second hand is a bad idea for two reasons - even if you get a legitimate copy complete with the Product Code. Firstly, TomTom limit the number of devices you can activate with one Product Code. Once a Product Code is used to activate a device, you have to wait seven days to activate a different device with that Product Code. Once you've used that second activation, you have to wait 180 days to activate a different device with the same Product Code.

You could buy a copy of a TomTom product from eBay and find you can't use it for six months. TomTom won't help - they frown quite strongly on their software products being bought and sold second hand.

The second danger is if the upgrade to the forthcoming TomTom Navigator 5 works the same way as the Navigator 2 to Navigator 3 upgrade did. Even if you have the Product Code label, if the original owner held on to a copy of that Product Code, then you could find that when you enter the Product Code to order your upgrade, you're told that the Product Code has already been used - because the original owner used it to order the upgrade!

Pocket GPS World has a strict policy - we do not condone or support the use of software other than in accordance with copyright law and any relevant licence agreements. Piracy is frustrating for us all - it robs the companies of money to develop new and improved products. Effectively, the legitimate users are subsidising the freeloaders and the criminals who sell pirate copies. Those that land up buying pirate copies usually land up let down, too.

Caveat emptor when buying software from eBay - you could get a bargain, you could get ripped off. If you have got incomplete or pirated software, you should attempt to get recourse through eBay (and, if relevant, PayPal), but what you can achieve is often pretty limited 'after the fact'.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: