Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do Pro fitted VDO Car Nav Compare to say TTGo or ICN510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do Pro fitted VDO Car Nav Compare to say TTGo or ICN510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AB-P
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: How do Pro fitted VDO Car Nav Compare to say TTGo or ICN510 Reply with quote

I have a VDO MS 5000 Sat nav system with Navteq 2005 maps. I have always found the system to be good with logical routing and with the Navteq map up-to-date and very accurate.
However the thing costs me £130+ to have it removed and re-installed every time I change my car (approx every 2 years).

I would Like to know how this new breed of car nav I.E. TomTom Go500, or Navman ICN 510 would compare to the performance I currently have from the VDO

How do they manage through tunnels and in city centres where the GPS Satellites are difficult or impossible to view?

Your help would be much appreciated as I am getting a lot of conflicting information saying stick with what I have and get rid of the old VDO Rubbish... both cannot be correct.

Please Help

Many Thanks

AB-P
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only had a TTG I can't compare, but the reasons I choose it where:-

I could put it in either car. You can buy additional mount kits seperately for that.
At some stage the maps are going to be as uptodate as any other(!)
The new Version 5 seems to have addressed most peoples wishlist
I can use mine outside the car for 6 hours. If out walking at least you can see where you are (not its intended use but handy).

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: How do Pro fitted VDO Car Nav Compare to say TTGo or IC Reply with quote

AB-P wrote:
I have a VDO MS 5000 Sat nav system with Navteq 2005 maps. I have always found the system to be good with logical routing and with the Navteq map up-to-date and very accurate.
However the thing costs me £130+ to have it removed and re-installed every time I change my car (approx every 2 years).

I would Like to know how this new breed of car nav I.E. TomTom Go500, or Navman ICN 510 would compare to the performance I currently have from the VDO

They compare favourably well. One thing you have to bear in mind is that if you're looking for a highly professional install, largish screen and perhaps even a motorised screen with absolutely no cables showing then a properly fitted in-car system will in most peoples minds be better.

AB-P wrote:
[b]How do they manage through tunnels and in city centres where the GPS Satellites are difficult or impossible to view?

The removable in-car sat-nav systems usually work well through towns. You may find the odd problem with sat signals when traveling between tall buildings say in London but then again you'll experience the same problem with a fitted car system. One thing that fitted systems usually have is a speed pulse link that allows navigation to continue when sat signals aren't good enough. Some also have built in gyro's too. TomTom has something similar but it's really not on-par with the speed pulse yet.

AB-P wrote:
Your help would be much appreciated as I am getting a lot of conflicting information saying stick with what I have and get rid of the old VDO Rubbish... both cannot be correct.

Personally, I'd much rather prefer a removable system. You may have more cables, it may use up a cigarette lighter socket, and a windscreen or vent mount may look a little obtusive but at the end of the day, it can all be removed quickly from the car where a fitted system cannot.
AB-P
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice.

TomTomGo Seems the way to go... only thing is it uses TeleAtlas maps. I have always found these to be inferior to Navteq.

I.E. no Motorway Junction numbers.

Not able to search by small areas of a town it must search by the main town and then through all of the roads.

If you don’t know the road but just want to go to an area quickly you can't with TeleAtlas on my current system.

Please can you tell me if any of these problems exist in the TomTom type software or are they specific to the supplied map software?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom maps do have motorway junction numbers, though there's no really easy way of selecting a particular motorway junction number as a destination.

The Go v5 software will have full postcode support for the UK - though you may well need the new maps. If you can wait a little while, the new Go hardware platforms will be out within the next month or two, complete with Bluetooth support for things like using an external Bluetooth mobile phone for (subscription) traffic information.

David
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so easy to slip a Tom Tom Go into your pocket compared with others..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: