Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Complete newbie - no GPS fix
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Complete newbie - no GPS fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Complete newbie - no GPS fix Reply with quote

Excuse my ignorance, but I really am a complete newbie. I don't seem to be ablee to get a GPS fix on my new Navman PiN 300 with SmartST. I think I have everything activated and set up correctly but when I try to get a fix only one of the yellow bars lights and no lat/long comes up. I have set the port to com2, set baud rate to 4880 and ticked the GPS box as per instructions. I suspect that it is something extremely simple that I have not done. Also had a look though numerous posts on here etc and nobody else seems to have the problem. It must be me!! Can you help
Thanks in advance.
Phil
PhilRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, it was me being extremely dumb - have got it working perfectly.
Mods please delete these posts so that others don't waste their time reading them!! Embarassed
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you post what you did please as it may help others

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
EvilTwin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a beginner, how do you find the pin300 as a pda? i'm looking to buy a pda & gps, and the pin300 is on my 'to be looked at' list. Also how good do you find the smart ST software?
PhilRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix,
At the risk of making myself a complete laughing stock Sad , this is what happened.
I only received the Pin300 at about 11am, having bought it on ebay. I had a quick blast through the instructions (Quick start!), and, since it was hailing, raining, snowing I put the Navman next to the window thinking it would have a clear view of the sky (well, I could see the clouds the hail etc was coming from Rolling Eyes ) but no GPS fix after 15 mins. By this time it was only snowing so went to middle of back lawn and tried again - still no result. Wife pointed out that if we didn't go to Sainsburys soon Crying or Very sad I would not be back in time to watch rugby on TV. So, off we went, me still clutching Navman and still searching for GPS fix. 2 minutes down the road, there it was - and our exact position within a few yards, but only in 2D. Are there areas of the country with relatively poor "reception"? Can't believe that I can't get a decent fix in my back garden - it's about one third of an acre but does have some pretty big trees in and around it - maybe that's the problem.
Pointed out to wife when we got to Sainsbury's that it said "return to nearest road" but she took no notice but did say she would take me for a nice lunch because I had been in such a bad temper. Wink .
can't say I'm too impressed with Navman software on disk- doesnt seem very intuitive but I guess it's a question of getting used to it. I do have a full set of Europe maps and UK maps on disk, but even France seems to take up all of a 256mb card. Guess I will need to invest in a few big cards for our summer holidays but I will have a look through the posts on here for advice.
Phil
PhilRW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil (!),
Can't help much I'm afraid, as you can see from the above, I've only had it a few hours and I have no other experience to compare it with - others will be better placed to advise. It's a difficult decision isn't it - I "plumped" for this because it was more than £100 cheaper than I had seen it in PC world and came with extras - memory, case, full maps of Europe etc. Whetehr I made the right decision or not remains to be seen!!
Phil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: