Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Time to take the leap.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to take the leap.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulrrulon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Time to take the leap. Reply with quote

After many weeks of reading , reading & more reading I am ready to make the leap. I figure my choice was between syson chip and hi303s with bluetooth slipper. Any comments on this decesion good or bad ? Iam leaning towards the Hi 303s as for convience of options. Now i am trying to pick software and could use some help. Also would like a pocket gps world sponsor who is honest and fair to purchase from. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Figure its only fair to purchase from the web site sponsor as this site has informed me more than any other. 3 software titles i see alot written about with good reviews are tom tom , mapopolis and destinator. i was leaning towards destintor software. The GPS and software will be used with a hp hx 4700 & I live in the USA and travel to Canada once in awhile. I do drive alot in Rural areas back roads and such but also in Denver , Colorado alot as its 50 minutes from my home. Any comments good bad or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully
PR
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to throw the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons a little. If you're sure you want Bluetooth, I'd say that the Haicom solution is overpriced for facilities you'll probably never use.

I have two systems. My 'old' system, which these days is pretty much dedicated to navigation and is used by various family members, uses a HI-303MMF CompactFlash GPS. My system is the one in my signature, using a Fortuna Clip On. I don't ever find myself wishing I had the Haicom instead of the Fortuna with me; my laptop and both my Pocket PCs all have built in Bluetooth.

I would suggest looking at the new SiRFstar III Bluetooth GPSes; this is a new generation, moving on from the very popular SiRFstar IIe/LP units such as the Haicom HI-303S (which is SiRFstar IIe/LP running XTrac firmware). There's at least one available in the US now - Lutz has mentioned availability in the last few days.

The site sponsors reflect the site's UK based history - it started off as a UK site, and expanded to cover the world, not least when Lutz joined the team to give an American perspective. Maybe one of our American readers can suggest where to look.

David
paulrrulon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David
Thanks again for taking time to comment. I always feel poorly about purchases ive made in the past when I havent done any homework on the product or technology im looking to purchase. I would rather spend more up front and be happy then less and miserable. I did consider wating for the new sirf3 technology to hit the streets but was not sure of the advantages of it over the sirf2 . With all the reading ive done it looks as thou the technology is very good right now. If your fortuna clipon broke today would you replace it with the same unit ? I did look into that unit as well. Maybey it deserves another look. I guess I will rethink this and read some more on the sirf3 technology. Again thanks for the input.
Respectfully
PR
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Clip On is an excellent unit - no question about it. However, if I was buying today, I'd buy a SiRFstar III unit, simply because it's the next generation.

I hope that SiRFstar III will prove to combine the strengths of "standard SiRF" and XTrac without the disadvantages of each of these two SiRFstar IIe/LP firmware options - though I'd want to reserve judgment on that until I get a chance to try SiRFstar III for myself or at least until a proper review is completed.

The first SiRFstar III reviews should be available soon - I believe the Team are working on one right now.

David
paulrrulon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i will just wait before making the leap better safe than sorry. I look forward to the review. Thanks again.
Respectfully
PR

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: