Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What are these like please ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What are these like please ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quality
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: What are these like please ? Reply with quote

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/AA-Navigator-GPS-with-HP-iPAQ-2110.aspx

as it says a full postcode search which none of the others do ?
quality
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I take it there then !
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA Navigator is a relatively new product that has a fairly low profile. I keep meaning to test it (as I've been sent a copy), but haven't yet got round to it.

I believe I'm right in saying that AA Navigator is currently the only product with full postcode support out of the box, though it's looking likely that there will be a new version of TomTom Navigator with full postcode support soon.

David
quality
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Would the full postcode search be more accurate in finding destinations ?

How would this product compare to the navman510 ?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full postcodes can make it much easier to find your destination - it depends on your kind of usage.

The big advantage of full postcode support is that you simply enter the postcode; you don't have to worry under which city or area the street is classified. This has always been a problem - if you think a street in the suburbs of a major city is under the city, but the navigation software you're using has it classified under the suburb, you may not find that street if you search for it under the city.

However, postcode searching is still somewhat imperfect, in that no products include the 'house number and postcode' database - a very large and expensive to licence file. For example, E1 5AB (which is a postcode I've made up) may well cover ten or twenty houses - but it will certainly get you the right road. 22 E1 5AB will point to a particular house, but you need the larger and more expensive 'house number and postcode' database to have a location corresponding to that.

Whilst full postcode support is nice, unless a major part of your usage is driving to locations for which you may only have a postcode (as it may be, for example, if you're a parcel delivery driver), I'd try to take a more balanced view of the strengths and weaknesses of the product.

There is a third party add-on for TomTom Navigator 3 that contains many postcodes - though, as I said, there's signs that the next version of TomTom Navigator, which is expected some time in the next two months, will contain full postcode support.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: