Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Position Unreliable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Position Unreliable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveinch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: GPS Position Unreliable Reply with quote

Hi new to the forums.

I bought a Dell Axim X30 bundled with Tom Tom Navigator 3 and a car kit. I've been messing about with the Axim and all seems fine, tonight I stuck the car kit in and connected everything together, fired Tom Tom up and got.

GPS Position Unreliable.

Fiddled about for ages and couldn't get it to work, it's a wired solution.

Could anyone tell me what the correct connection is for the reciever.

COM3
Serial Cable on SP2
USB Cable
Serial Cable on COM1

Also, how long does it take for the reciever to actually establish a connection?

The reciever has a small clear circle of plastic which looks as though it should light up with an LED to show power, is this correct as mine doesn't?

Thank you for any input

Dave
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the gps screen set it to (im presuming you have a tt wired gps) select tomtom wired gps and set the com port to serial on com 1 plug it in @ put it in the car for around 30 mins while STATIONARY you should see some dots going across the screen once you can see a positon in the gps screen go to navigator veiw and you should see your position on the map
if you have a keyboard in stalled this could upset the above

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
daveinch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply, it helped quite a bit.

One last question, my reciever is the wired version. Square with the cable entering one of the corners, should there be a power light on the reciever. It looks like there should be one there but it doesn't light up when plugged into the car kit.

Again, any help would be appreciated. I've searched google and the Tom Tom web site for a picture of a reciever in action with no luck.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what remeber you should have a square hole on the car kit or y cable (this will power both the receiver and pda) plug the receiver in to that to work the receiver the power lead should be in the cigar light and if its wired to the ingnition turned on so the car kit is has power going to it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
daveinch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to Tom Tom support today and it looks like either the car kit or reciever is knackered! Sad Waiting for my RMA number.

Not the best of starts with GPS Rolling Eyes
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth checking that your cigarette lighter socket is working and, if you can, that the fuse in the power lead for your car kit is intact.

These "wired" GPSes can only get power from the external power source - they can't get power from the PDA.

David
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Check the battery status of your Dell (in the Settings menu). If it is charging when everything is connected, it surely is not a faulty carkit/power cable, but a faulty gps receiver.

If it is not being charged according to the status screen, then the carkit or the attached power cable is defect.
If you have the TomTom carkit, there is also a led at the bottom of the carkit that should be on.
If you have the Y-cable with a universal holder, then there is a green led on the cig lighter plug.

If the led is off, then the power cable is not charging.
Inside the cig lighter plug is a fuse which could be blown, you can check that.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soemthing that might help you:

Myself, brother and old man have purchased this exact kit, and whilst mine and the old man's were fine, my brothers had exactly the symptons you are describing.

It transpires that the car kit was faulty in some way. The lighter socket was fine, as was the fuse in the car kit, but when plugged in the light on the cradle came on, then faded out. It was replaced by DELL and now no problems. Sounds like you have been unlucky, like my brother. Hopefully a replacement will sort you out.

Gary
daveinch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light came on on the actual cradle and powered the Axim, I phoned TT tech support and they checked a few settings then agreed either the reciever or the car kit was faulty.

Emailed me an RMA straight away.
icurr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Position unreliable Reply with quote

I had problems with my Axim Hard wired GPS until I relocated the receiver away from the windscreen. I located it on the side window area so it looks out of the passenger window. Been great since. (ps stick velcrose on it if you have a fabric door top)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: