Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom V5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom V5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: TomTom V5 Reply with quote

Looks like my predication was correct, just noticed that TomTom WEB site have announced TomTom MOBILE 5 along with a new BT GPS receiver.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say it's looking good, can't wait to be able to upgrade to the pocket pc version.

The new bluetooth GPS looks nice too Smile
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got several threads going on this now in various places in the forums!

The interesting part for TomTom users on the Pocket PC is that if version 5 software is coming for TomTom Mobile, it's likely coming for other platforms as well, as all TomTom navigation software in the future will be based on the one "common platform". All "common platform" software released to date, including Navigator 2004 HP Edition in Europe and Navigator 2004 in North America, has been version 4.

I suspect it will be some time before the product is available. As others have said, I wouldn't be surprised if TomTom announce the Pocket PC version at CeBIT as CeBIT has traditionally been where TomTom launch the next Pocket PC version of Navigator for Europe. Until then, I doubt we'll have any concrete information.

David
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "5" is as good as we are making out (and yes I will await the Pocket GPS world Review), the I guess the maps may have shifted as well?

Maps work from "4" to "3" and hopefully will continue in "5" as well..

The reason for this is I may stick with TTN3 PPC and just get the upgrade for the maps
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not have the option of upgrading to get new maps for Navigator 3.

As I've mentioned elsewhere in the forums, I have TomTom Navigator 3 Great Britain and TomTom Navigator 2004 HP Edition Europe. Though I can use the maps from HP Edition Europe on Navigator 3, I can only use the Navigator 2004 maps in Navigator 3 that my Navigator 3 Product Code covers.

For more information, read here.

It's not inconceivable that Product Codes for future maps will not activate the maps on Navigator 3 even if you already have the corresponding map for Navigator 3. Previous upgrades have involved outright changes in the map format; for example you can't use a Navigator 3 map on Navigator 2 software, or vice versa.

I haven't yet seen any "version 5" TomTom code; I know as much about it as you do, which is not much. I'm expecting that CeBIT will bring some announcements, but that's only looking at previous history.

As you may remember, I made some harsh comments about Navigator 2004 when I feared that it would be the core of the next European release of Navigator for the Pocket PC - see here for that. I am no fan of Navigator 2004 HP Edition; even though I have it, I hardly use it, greatly preferring Navigator 3, not least to use Traffic.

However, it seems clear that TomTom are retiring the Navigator 3 codebase, and we have to move forwards with them. Navigator 2004 supports VGA and landscape on my iPAQ hx4700 - Navigator 3 supports neither and it seems pretty clear never will support either.

If, as appears likely, "version 5" has full postcode support, it may well be unusable in Navigator 3 even if a way is found to make the maps work. Indeed, this may involve an incompatible map format, just as has happened between previous major version jumps. Bearing in mind TomTom use a "common platform" for software development, I expect all their products to move to "version 5". TomTom Mobile was the last product I thought would get a program update any time soon - TomTom surprised me there.

There's going to be some pain; the user interface that Navigator 3 users are familiar with is going to change because of the move to "common platform" code. I suspect you and I would agree, Simon, that we'd be happier if Navigator 3, with its 'proper' Pocket PC interface, was developed further, but that's not the way it's going to be. Navigator 3 has its flaws; it isn't entirely stable on some hardware, also it often incorrectly identifies places that are ambiguous (for example, Marylebone W1 in London appears on screen as something like Marylebone (Wigan) - though I think that's the Navigator 2 version of that bug; I can't remember off the top of my head what the Navigator 3 version is).

However, if TomTom release a product to supersede Navigator 3 that has all the functionality of Navigator 3 that matters to me - which Navigator 2004 does not - then I will almost certainly upgrade and stick with it.

I am heartened by the "version 5" indications. It is up to TomTom to win me over!

David
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, as always a concise and deliberated response.

Yes, you and I agree TTN3 is the correct interface and all other "deliverys" (Sic deliberately) are just a Work In progress to me.

I hope (although I doubt) TTN5 (PPC) Maps, will allow TTN3 to use them.

I'll still buy the (very) cheap upgrade though, becuase I guess they'll drop traffic on TTN3 within a year I guess (very easy, change the server name and don't offer a pacth!)...
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite happy if the interface isn't a 'proper' pocket pc one. In 95% of the cases when TomTom crashes it's because of swtiching between the standard windows view and the full screen view.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: