Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which BT Receiver To Buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which BT Receiver To Buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Which BT Receiver To Buy? Reply with quote

OK, so I've got the PDA, QTEK 9090, and the software, TomTom 3 Maps Or Europe. The question is, which BT GPS receiver to get?

I've read most of the reviews on this site and there seems little to choose between them. The Emtac seems to be a good bet but then do I take the standard or the newer Trine, what's the difference. I've also colleagues that have TomTom BT's and a Parrot, both are happy with them.

I'll be using this 99% of the time in the car - preferably I want it powered and wired directly into the car so I don't have to turn it on and off, I also want it to be able to track satellites without visual - that way I can hide it somewhere and just leave it there.

Is there any general consensus on what is the best for a mediuml budget - say up to €250?

Any feedback is very welcome.

Thanks
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, there's not a great deal to separate many of the Bluetooth GPS receivers - there's a large number that are all good.

My personal choice is the same as at least one of the other moderators - Fortuna Clip On, because of its easily changeable battery and the ability to switch from GSW2 ("Standard SiRF") to XTrac and back again.

If you want datalogging, there's various options. I have no real use for it and am not familiar with the various options.

One thing concerns me in what you write - if you just have TomTom Navigator 3 Maps of Western Europe, that's an add-on map product. You need a country version of TomTom Navigator 3 to go with it.

David
dabby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

It's Benelux version of TT Navigator.

I've been researching more and indeed the Fortuna Clip-on has also popped-up as e very strong contender.

I've also noticed that www.pdashop.be is selling the Holux 230 for €121 - that seems a pretty reasonable price to me.

I'm not interested in data-logging, just good quality, hassle-free navigation :D

Dave
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigator 3 Benelux will be fine; if you want the rest of Europe, you need Navigator 3 Maps of Western Europe to expand your map coverage.

There's many good options out there. Mike has reminded me that SiRFstar III receivers are beginning to appear (such as the new GPS receiver announced with TomTom Mobile 5). That said, anything SiRFstar IIe/LP based, such as the Clip On and the majority of the other Bluetooth GPSes, are fine GPS receivers in their own right.

David
dabby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.pdashop.be is selling now the Rikaline 6030 and Holux 230 both for €121 - I think that's a good price for both.

The question is, which is the best? I suppose the Rikaline has a replaceable battery but isn't IIe, the Holux is but has a fixed battery.

Doh, it's too difficult...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: