Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom V5 – The Next Version!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom V5 – The Next Version!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: TomTom V5 – The Next Version! Reply with quote

Ok that’s my predication, with only 10 weeks to go before we hopefully start to hear about the next version I thought it would share my views on what I think TomTom have in store for us during 2005, I’d be interested in other peoples views.

Having used TomTom since V1 I have seen how the product has developed over time, when first released it was way ahead of its time. Unfortunately the last update V3, I felt was very disappointing, and with the increase in hardware platforms & competition TomTom need to provide a very attractive product this year.

Having used the new TomTom V4.4 I don’t think the next version will be a V4 release; it will either be renamed or become V5. I feel that V4.4 has been a pre release test version to ensure the common platform is stable prior release in March, dare I say it, almost a beta release.

The current V4.4 has a new polished user interface which is a great improvement and supports both landscape & portrait modes, this now brings TomTom Navigator inline with TomTom GO, TomTom Mobile & Palm versions. Another improvement is that map data is compatible across the range of products, the same map data runs on all products. However there are a number of very important features missing that need to be added if TomTom are to release this as an upgrade. In V4 the following functionality is missing:-

• Customised menu’s
• Customised button’s
• Customised road speeds’s this affects routing calculations
• No traffic add-in.
• Map view for planning routes, ie A-B, shortest or quickest route.

So the next Navigator version will be based on the common platform, must include all of the missing functionality that V3 currently has, and needs to provide new features, what these are I don’t know, but the Traffic service seems a likely target area.

One final prediction, TomTom Mobile will include a number of new features, but the product will require activation in a similar way to Navigator, the easiest way would be to lock the software to the phones IMEI number.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting predictions. Let's try one more. Do you think the map format of v5 will be compatible with v4 and v3?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

going on past experience pobabbly no Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps may not be backwardly compatible, but I expect that a single copy of the Maps Of Europe will work regardles of platform ie Mobile, Go or V5
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The avoid an area would also need to be included for me to consider an upgrade.
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Desired features for TTN 2005 (version 5?) Reply with quote

I've used TTN 2004 (USA) for only short while, so my list is small:

Major:

- MUCH more comprehensive POI. For example, about 4000 public airports are missing from the "Airports" POI; and the Hospitals POI doesn't have any hospitals in it in the areas I've checked (there are a few clinics listed - worthless)!

- Map updating via the Internet, even if a fee is charged. They are correcting their maps constantly, so there is no need to wait a year or more for corrections. This could be an incentive to report errors: you would earn a free update for each "significant" error you reported (missing roads, closed roads, etc).

Minor:

- Different or modifiable Main Menu
- "avoid areas"
- display altitude on the Route and GPS pages
- be able to rename your POI, like you can Favorites
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, let's not have this thread mutate into yet another wishlist.

Would be nice if you could stick with predictions what the new version will bring.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a clue about what TomTom (the company) might do, since I've only been aware of it for a couple of months, and used TTN 2004 for a couple of weeks. So, no predictions from me!

I was hoping my post would encourage people with some insight into the company to predict the chances of these features appearing. Not only would that be interesting, but it would help me decide between waiting for the new version and looking for more POI on my own now.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are going to make the product broadly comparable to TomTom3 then I expect iteneraries, or at least some sort of 'go via' mechanism will be included.

Of course with major version releases the big question is always what features have they added. They are going to have to come up with some new features to justify getting people to upgrade.

Just adding landscape mode isn't going to be enough I think.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am predicting that they will keep the OV2 format, and that the limitations on numbers of custom POIs will persist.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
a4ace
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting post from MikeB under REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom Navigator HP Edition. i think it's very much related to this thread.

MikeB wrote:
This may not be the case.

When we met with TomTom at CeBIT last year we were told that there would not be a PC upgrade to the new system until they had implemented all the features in the current TT3 product.

Obviously this statement was made nearly a year ago, and product roadmaps will change to suit market requirements, but I have not been informed that there has been any change to this statement.

Now on the surface it may look like a lot of functionality has been dropped for this release of software, but I am sure that TomTom would point out that this is not an upgrade for TomTom 3 (PDA) users. With CeBIT coming up in March I would expect some announcements to be made, or at least I would hope so.

It really is just a question of wait and see. Last year we went to CeBIT hoping to get a sneak preview of TT3 and they suprised eveyone with the GO and TomTom Mobile.

i share speedcam's predictions. although i predict that if tomtom would not make it, v5 maps will be compatible with ttn3.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: