Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OT: ipaq won't work away from AC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: ipaq won't work away from AC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: OT: ipaq won't work away from AC Reply with quote

After about 6 months of no (not many) problems with my ipaq it's began acting strangely this morning.

I ususally power it up on battery before putting it into the cradle but it didn't respond at all. But when I put it into the car holder which has power it works fine. The orange light starts flashing to say the battery is charging and when I look at the power settings it says 95%-Charging.

But when I take it off power the unit shuts down again immediately. I've not altered any settings and even so I double checked to make sure it's not set to switch itself off.

Even though the applications are still there, TomTom still works fine.. the clock appears to have reset itself to a different time.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model is the PDA?

Does it appear to charge when in the cradle or only when using the 12v power source?
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it's an HP 2210.

I haven't tried it anywhere except the (TomTom) car cradle which has a 12v power supply, it appears to charge fine in there.

I noticed when I removed it from the cradle the image remained on the screen, but with no backlight, but it wouldn't accept input. Putting it back in the cradle restored full functionality. I've checked and the battery backlight setting is on maximum.

I sucessfully soft resetted the unit a couple of times and it made no difference.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an odd one, if the battery had failed it would have hard-reset and you would not have access to any of the user installed apps.

I would give it an 8hr charge on the home cradle and see where we go from there.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It got worse. When I got home I'd found it had done a hard reset and I've lost all my applications and drivers (well all one of them)

I put it on charge all night and this morning it was still reporting as charging, the power of the battery was said to be 95% pretty similar to yesterday. If I take it off power the screen goes black, but when I put it back now I just get a white screen and nothing else.

If I leave if off power for about half an hour it hard resets itself but then I'm back to square one Sad

So looks like it's quite broken Sad. Any ideas who to contact for repair, the HP site is vague in the extreme (I'm in Newcastle)

I've only actually been using the device for 2 months, but I don't have proof of purchase time as I won it in a raffle.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't need proof of purchase, HP will ask for the unit's serial number which will give them a date of manufacture. If you have only ahd it 2months then it should be in warranty and they will arrange for it to eb collected from you, repaired and returned Smile
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren.
I called them and the (rather annoyed but helpful) lady on the phone took the serial number off me and arranged to have it picked up from where I work on Monday 8). Says it will be a week to fix but that isn't too bad really.

Only thing I'm concerned about now is the thing failing again after it's fixed!

With regards to the warranty, is it actually 1 year from manufacture date rather than when I got it.. I've no idea when the raffle organiser actually bought it.

They seem to have a scheme to extend the warranty to 3 years but I can't find prices for that.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the absence of a proof of purchase the warranty is 12mths from date of manufacture.

I haven't heard of many issues with the 2210 so you should be Ok once you have it back. Mine's still going strong 2 years on with no issues apart from the side grips failing.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ipaq was away for just over a week and it was returned on Friday.. Well I say it was returned, an ipaq was returned, it certainly wasn't mine.

The documentation related to some guy in Liecestershire who was having issues with his A/C adapter, a different issue to mine but the documentation was extremely coded and abbreviated. You would have thought they would have included a short letter in English to say "Dear Sir, the problem was xyz, we've now fixed it, have a nice day".

First of all, since the machine is not mine, I'm worried if it has a fault again it will have a shorter warranty period!

Secondly it seems extremely unstable, I've reinstalled my copy of TomTom3 and it crashes and white screens when I as much as choose a menu option too fast.. that never happened with my old machine.

So now I'm not sure if I should keep this,, I mean have they sent it to me by mistake? Or should I tell them I want my own ipaq returned? I'm concerned I've ended up with a pocket pc which is even more faulty than when I sent it away Sad
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give them a call and explain the situation. I would not accept it as it is.
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,
I think I might do that.

As for the legal position, I assume that I am within my rights to refuse to accept a used machine in replacement for mine?

Can I demand my machine back or a new replacement?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkHewitt wrote:
I assume that I am within my rights to refuse to accept a used machine in replacement for mine?

Can I demand my machine back or a new replacement?

I'm not sure you can, it appears to be standard practice these days. Given that the 2210 is no longer a current model then I don't think it unreasonable for them to replace a defective unit with a reconditioned unit so long as it is unmarked and works 100%.

But I would still reject the one you have as it clearly was not intended for you and does not appear to be fully working anyway,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: