Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS V2.07 - Is this the answer ???? Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS V2.07 - Is this the answer ???? Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NW1001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: GPS V2.07 - Is this the answer ???? Help Reply with quote

I seen all the threads on dropping BT with TT3. I just had to do a hard reset recently, and something has changed since then - it keeps dropping the BT conection - first the display goes blank for a few seconds, sometimes recovers. Then it sometimes makes contact with th TT by BT. After a couple of repeats it all locks up, only answer is soft reset.

I'm running the BT 3.07 upgrade, but have read that the GPS 3.07 is no good, and likely the cause, so would like to backgrade to GPS 2.07. I see it on your d/l site, but can't understand how to get it loaded. How extensively do I need to unload GPS 3.07 to get rid of all traces ?

Thanks

Neil
TT3 3.07 BT 4150 1gb Kinston ram
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.07 is not necessarily the answer to the BT ropouts. It is mostly targeted at allowing other applications to use the BT receiver.

BT dropouts are currently attributed to too many custom POIs. It's just a theory, but the best we have right now.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NW1001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: TT3 BT/4150 Locking Up Reply with quote

OK, I can see there's some bug in here somewhere. I've read loads of postings, and probably what I am seeing, others have too, but I'm trying to isolate the circumstances that cause it, and believe I may have some facts I've not read about before. Also, I tried installing GPS 2.07 in an attenpt to fix it, but can't get off the start line. More of that later.

So, before I had to do a hard reset, TT3 was working fine with TT GPS BT, and with CheckPOInt installed. I was running TT3 V3.07, not actually certain what version of GPS that was, but assuming it's same as now from my install disk, it had to be 3.07, and never saw a single glitch - ever.

After the hard reset things started to go wrong. I would set out on a journey, and noticed that the screen would go blank. If I hit the power button, it came live again, first showing GPS unreliable, then after a few seconds getting sorted out and off I went. On a couple of occasions, same hapened again, and again, after only a few miles. After the n'th time, it wouldn't come back again, and only way out was to soft reset and start again - painful, and not what I expect from several hunderd quids worth of investment. So what was the pattern...

Well, I have run TT3 in my car, in the cradle on car power, and not seen a problem. I have run it in the car on battery and also not seen a problem. Runing in my van, or in my wife's 4x4, the problem occurs - when on battery.Running it on battery power is the only time the problem occurs. Just before a lock up occurs, the TT3 stops informing me of pending instruction, just goes silent.

I have also noticed another point that is more than coincidence, but for the life of me I can't explain. When the 4150 is on battery power, on several occasions the screen has gone black as I touch the unit, picking it up from the dash to look at what's happening - it goes off almost as soon as I touch it. Static ??? Can't hink of anything else. But I stress that the problem does occur untouched too - just laying on the dash. And no question of having tapped the screen, I have only touched the outer case as the problem occurs.

Other peculiarities I have seen - after recovering from a black out by pressing the power button, it becomes tempramental - just now, as I reached my destination, it confirmed so on the navigator map screen, but below it was telling me to go straight on, saying I had a further 500 yrds to travel. This has happened more than once, and is not associated with just one specfic destination.

I currently have not re-instaled CheckPOInt again, and only have one POI enabled in TT3, so it's not that I've got hundreds of POI's active.

Now - what's the next step ? Should I downgrade to GPS 2.07 ?? I have tried, I pulled the download from your website, hoping it would be an idiots install but when I run te setup exe it opens a small box, something about APK files, then closes and....nothing. I read that there's a need to remove GPS3.07, and various threads seem that peopleare quite adept at this stuff, I'm not. What are the individual steps (idiots guide) I need to follow to uninstall 3.07 and replace it with 2.07 - please help, this is becoming very frustrating as I need to be using TT, and at the moment I am wondering if I ever will. Let me know if I can give any more details to help your advice.

One other thing I noticed strange after the hard reset - starting TT Navigator automatically starts Bluetooth. Previously I had to start it manually. Is this a setting in the 4150 I overlooked at the re-install, or is it someway related to the above ?

Meantime, I will continue to watch the correlation between vehicle, battery power, and touching the unit in various states, and see if there is a link with events that follw as TT3 locks up.

Help please

Neil

4150/TT3 3.07/BT/Kinston SD 1Gb,
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery power phenomenon is easy to explain. TomTom GPS allows you to either respect the Pocket PC's power conservation settings, or to ignore them. In the first case your Pocket PC will switch off after the period specified in the Start >Settings > System > Power applet.

There is another power related effect that also affects the standard powered mode (not battery). When you switch your PDA off while TomTom is running i, and then return later and switch it back on you MUST touch the screen once or press a button after the power button. Otherwise the Pocket PC thinks it's midnight and will go to sleep again after one to three minutes

So your "random" switchoffs may have perfectly natural explanations..

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
NW1001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for quick reply. I am aware of the power conservation settings however, and just double checked - it is unchecked, i.e. will not switch off. Also, the time to the drop out is not repeatable.

Thanks for the tip on the screen tap, one to bear in mind, but doesn't seem ralated to my problems.

Any other ideas ?

Is it still worth dropping back to GPS 2.07 do you think ? If so, appreciate a guide on how to.

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: