Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Obtaining a Lat/Long from a POI ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Obtaining a Lat/Long from a POI ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mupp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Obtaining a Lat/Long from a POI ? Reply with quote

Hi,
I've downloaded a POI overlay of GeoCaches ( from http://www.geocacheuk.com/ ) and use TTN to navigate by car to the general area. I would then like to view the Lat/Long data of the POI so that I can enter it in my GPS for the hike to the Cache.

I've tried the "Find POI / Show On Map / Go To Co-ordinates" method to obtain the Lat/Long, but as the GeoCache POI's are rarely on a road, the TTN Lat/Long displayed is incorrect - it snaps to the nearest road and won't show the true Lat/Long for the POI. I'm sure the POI data within the OV2 file is correct, as it displays the Cache POI's icon in the correct place on the map, way off the road in the woods.

Any ideas how I can access the true POI Lat/Long and not a Lat/Long of the nearest road to the POI?

Thanks,
Dave
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not easy. Your best shot would be to use DumpOV2 or Oldie's POIConverter to get the coordinates - but that needs to be done on the PC , not on the Pocket PC.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Skids
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TomTom to get me close to the POI and then switch to GPSTuner http://www.gpstuner.com/.

Which then gives me a compass that points to the Geocache (POI) I am looking for.

I imported the POIs from the GeocacheUK download into GPSTuner and can then choose them from a list.

It is also possible to use topographiceal maps within GPSTuner but I have not used that yet because you have to but the maps and they can be expensive.

Also to be completely paperless I use GPS Soner which you can use to import the waypoints from Geocaching.com and view the details on the PDA in much the same way as you would on geocaching.com.

Hope this helps

Skids
barryd
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Obtaining a Lat/Long from a POI ? Reply with quote

mupp wrote:
I've tried the "Find POI / Show On Map / Go To Co-ordinates" method to obtain the Lat/Long, but as the GeoCache POI's are rarely on a road, the TTN Lat/Long displayed is incorrect - it snaps to the nearest road and won't show the true Lat/Long for the POI.

Add an extra step and it will work:
- Find POI
- Show on Map
- [new] Scroll map to the POI symbol, then tap on it (the grey four segment circle now flashes on the POI symbol)
- Go To Co-ordinates
mupp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally sorted with Oldies' POIManager - creates a nice .txt file of the entire contents of a .ov2 file which I can view and search in Pocket Word.
Thanks to all who replied Smile

(previous thread)
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=83712#83712

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: