Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq 4700 Tomtom 3 wired GPS Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq 4700 Tomtom 3 wired GPS Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barmyclown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 4700 Tomtom 3 wired GPS Problem Reply with quote

Got the above as an xmas present and having problems getting it to work. The TomTom software works fine, but I have bought the Universal mount and plugged into the car, the IPAQ, and the GPS receiver. I know it can take a bit for it to lock onto the signals first time. But i don`t seem to be getting any data transfer from the Receiver to the Ipaq. The receiver led just flashes after going solid for a bit whenthe power is applied. I have the following questions before ringing tomtom up and start asking for serviceable replacemnts for things.

1. should you be getting data transfer while the gps receiver is trying to get it`s cold fix.

2. And does the led do anything else but flash. Ie go solid when it got a fix.

3. When I install the 4700 specific version of tomtom3 It doesn`t ask for a product key is this normal or not.

I`ve tried changing the device from the tomtom one to either a nmea or a sirff one with the same results. The com port is com1.

I suspect that I have got either a dead cable or a dead receiver. Unless i`m missing something on setup.

Hope you can help Jase
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the LED is flashing after going solid for a while when power is first applied, the chances are that the GPS has got a position lock.

As you've probably realised, you have to apply power to the cigarette lighter plug for the GPS hardware to work - but if it wasn't working, the light wouldn't be on.

If you've already input your product key once, you shouldn't have to do it again; TomTom Navigator stores it in numerous places on the Pocket PC. You never have to re-activate when upgrading from one minor update to another - such as an earlier version 3 release to 3.07.

As to your problem - the first thing is to disable any plug in keyboard drivers if you've got any installed; they claim the serial port.

If that's not it, the correct settings in the second tab of the GPS application are TomTom Navigator GPS and COM1: - there should be a tick in the blue box as well (to untick or tick that box tap on it - it needs to be unticked to change the settings and ticked for the TomTom software to work with the GPS).

What do you see in the first tab of the GPS application with the correct settings, including the tick, in the second tab?

David
Barmyclown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right what I have got in the top box is tomtom Navigator Gps connected to com1 . I have never had a keyboard connected to the IPAQ. I have tried fresh installs of tomtom 3. On the first install put the wrong version on. The next thing I was looking at doing was seeing if I could wipe the IPAQ completely and reinstall everything and start from scratch. I`ve had a look at another thread, and seen how long it took for another to get a fix. so am leaving the receiver powered up over night. and will plug ipaq in tommorow morning to see if it`s happy.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can wipe the iPAQ completely with a hard reset - as with almost all iPAQs, hold down the Calendar and iTask buttons, then poke the reset button and hold all three buttons down until the screen fades.

Let go of the buttons, wait five seconds, then apply power or poke the reset button again. If the iPAQ doesn't come back up 'factory fresh', remove the battery, wait five seconds and then see if it will power on.

However, before doing something so drastic, I suggest that you attempt to describe what you're seeing in the first tab of TomTom GPS with the GPS connected - scrolling dots, a time and date (and whether it's right or wrong) and any grey or red bars. What you see there will give us a better idea of what is happening.

David
Barmyclown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I didn`t make it to clear in my first post I did metion no data transfer. I get nothing no moving dots. no time nothing. It`s not the area i`m in cos my garmin 12xl from work manages to get a a nice solid fix. even if I clear the local information. Trying leaving t powered on overnight to see if that helps if not will do a hard reset, as all i`ll have to do is reinstall tomtom. as not put anything else on yet just in case I had problems.
Barmyclown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left powered up over night, still the same no moving dots, or time or anything, so going to do a full reset. to see if something wierd happend during setup.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth double checking the packaging of the cable, as there's some Pocket PCs that use the same connector as the iPAQ, but the pin-out is different. The power pins are the same, the serial port is different.

Most notably, the XDA series have a different pin-out to the iPAQs.

I think you've tried everything you can barring a hard reset. You should have scrolling dots immediately if the settings and hardware are correct.

David
Barmyclown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard reset Re-installed tomtom 3 for the ipaq 4700. seperate CD in box, It didn`t ask for any registration or codes like it says in the manual. Loaded the maps up. Connected to the car Nothing again. no moving dots no time, no position , no sat signal strengths. There is no other connector in the box or adapter. Looked on the site and it says it s compatible with both ipaqs and the xda and xdaII. so that could be the problem. I`m going to ring them up tommorow. I`ve had enough of there email support. But doesn`t mention the new ones but they did say in an earlier question to them that it would be compatible as it worked with the 5550. I`m out of ideas and now fed up practically ready to send it all back and buy from someone else.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The activation codes are retained in the registry of your PC as well as being passed to your Pocket PC, so they will have probably been retrieved from there.

The cable set is good for either the XDA range or iPAQs - the same connector is used, and the power pins are the same between both, but the pin-out of the serial port is different.

That's where I'd focus my attention; contact the supplier and ask for an iPAQ cable for the GPS. You wouldn't be the first person to be sent an XDA cable for an iPAQ. It's not TomTom's fault that you've been sent the wrong hardware for your Pocket PC, and I'd endeavour not to return the software so that there's no arguments about returning already activated software.

TomTom Navigator 3 does work on the hx4700 - I'm using it on the hx4700. I'm not using a serial GPS, but my hx4700's serial port works (I'm using it with a keyboard).

David
thebatterystall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

What are your settings in TT3 please.

I have the same system as you, but can't get a signal through TT3, and my connection between PDA and Fortuna is fine.

Crying or Very sad Althought..... Crying or Very sad I can't get a connection at all in XT mode whilst inside a building Crying or Very sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you're using GPS 3.07 - older versions may not work correctly on an hx4700. I'm using "TomTom Wireless GPS" and COM8:.

David
Barmyclown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes definatly using 3.07 and com1 one, anyway sorted it, it was a dead cable. Put a rj11 breakout on the gps from work and scoped it. then moved down to com 1 and intermittant signal so it`s done now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: