Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux 230 and how to configure?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux 230 and how to configure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lorenzolamas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Holux 230 and how to configure? Reply with quote

Hi forum,

I'm quite new to this... Anyway, a couple of Q's...
I have Holux 230 and a BT enabled laptop. (Acer Ferrari 3200).

How do I configure my Holux 230? Power Saving mode, SiRF, NMEA, etc. The 230 came with a little app called GPS Viewere, where I can set these parameters (permanent). Are these saved on the chip until I change them, even if 230 turned off or connected to another host program, like TomTom or Autoroute/Streets & Trips?

Also, what baud rate is preferable? In the manual it says 38400, but some apps gives me an error msg especially when requiring NMEA to set to 4800.

Last, I bought an external antenna with the 230, but when using the external antenna I get no signal/lock what so ever. After checking around on the net it seems I have a bought just the antenna cable for an active antenna set... I'm I correct?

Please advice and all the best,
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth receivers are auto sensing. So it doesn't really matter what speed you select. Even though 38400 is the most common speed, they work equally well at 4800

Speed and protocol settings are stored on the receiver , but these settings are only preserved until the receiver runs out of battery. If the battery goes down the receiver sets itself back to factory settings

For the time being stick to NMEA (don't try SiRF) and also don't yet play around with Power Saving mode.

The active antenna should normally work. (You are trying this outside, with sky view, right?)
If it doesn't , check the connectors and the cable - those are very fragile and may be damaged. Don't forget, we are talking high radio frequency here - any small physical damage can mean total functional failure.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lorenzolamas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for inputs.

Yea, the antenna work very well now. I don't know why it didn't work yesterday... When clear view (car roof) I get generally 9-10 sats, which should be sufficiant to get a good fix, or...?

Anyway, maybe a stupid question but, the antenna is supposed to be on the car roof in exposed to sun/rain/wind/snow? Also, when the external antenna is attached does the main 230E main device have any influence on the receiving conditions?

This is the antenna:

All the best and thanks for help,
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Interesting - no image is displayed when using Mozilla)

Yes, the external antenna is watertight and can stay outside at all times

When the external antenna is plugged in the receiver's antenna is disabled and doesn't influence reception any more.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
lorenzolamas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, great thanks!

PS. The image shows up fine here using Firefox 1.0. Perhaps you have enabled "Images from originating site only" in your browser preferences? ...just a thought.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorenzolamas wrote:
PS. The image shows up fine here using Firefox 1.0. Perhaps you have enabled "Images from originating site only" in your browser preferences? ...just a thought.

yes, that was it. Nice to see that security actually works Confused

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: