Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie advice please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Newbie advice please Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm completely new to GPS (had a chat to the various providers at the 'Outdoor Show' last year, but nothing seemed to match my requirements at the time) and I need some advice on what I should be looking for.

I need a device which can handle both the SatNav features (I do a lot of driving for work, mainly in the UK at the moment, but also in Norway and Germany potentially), but I'm also a Scout Leader and would like to be able to use my GPS when out walking, again mainly in the UK, but potentially anywhere in Europe.

Having spent some time looking at the various devices, they mainly seem to fall into one of these two categories, but nothing seems to cover both.

I suspect I need to go for one of the PDA packages (although I have no idea which one), and additional software (Memory Map Navigator or other ?)

Can anyone offer me some advice on which hardware / software options work well together and will fulfill my needs.

I'm looking at spending in the region of £500, maybe a little more, so I don't want to make the wrong decision.

Thanks for any help,

Ben
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There is a hybrid device available

http://pocketgpsworld.com/gpsmart.php

that may fit your needs. You can use it standalone (for scouting) or as a regular BT GPS receiver serving a Pocket PC or a Laptop (for street navigation). The only requirement would be that the PocketPC and/or laptop support BlueTooth.

You could still go with a serial connection alternative, but that is sooo 2003 ;-)

On the Pocket PC side you have a wide choice. You can assume that all programs work with all Pocket PCs, without limitations. Devices with two memory card slots (CF+SD) are slightly preferable. For scouting you will want to have a device with replaceable batteries.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BenR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Almost ideal Reply with quote

Thanks for that response Lutz. The GPSmart seems like a very good piece of kit, but with one failing that I can see, and that is the inability to plan routes on it.

This may just be my lack of understanding so far, but when I am out walking, I would like to be able to put my route into the GPS and be able to follow this.

Could I achieve this by using the GPSmart together with a Bluetooth PDA ? or would I be better buying a PDA with GPS enabled, and then adding software to achieve both my goals.

I am also concerned that the GPSmart is the only such device on the market. Is anyone else developing a similar product (Garmin or Magellan for instance ?). I'd prefer not to go down the 'Betamax' route and discover that hardware and software support for the device disappears.

Thanks,

Ben
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to plan your routes on the device or is it more probable you do that on the PC and then download them to the device?

I would guess that planning routes on a device means you have to look for a Pocket PC solution. It doesn't have to have built in GPS, as long as it has Bluetooth you can connect any BT receiver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BenR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being new to this, I'm not sure how best I will use the device(s) out in the countryside.

I would like to have the option to create a route prior to departure, but to be able to view the map and hopefully change a route, whilst out on a hike.

Having looked further at the hardware available, there is a Magellan Meridian Colour Traveller pack, which seems to contain base maps for hiking (with more detailed maps available), as well as street mapping software, and an in-car cradle.

This sounds like the sort of all-in-one device which may fit my requirements (without needing to buy a new PDA as my current one isn't up to it, but works fine as a PDA).

Any thoughts / experience of this hardware would be gratefully listened to.

Thanks again,

Ben
mikeiow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben,
I'm curious about this topic as well. A drunken dare has led to the likelihood I may be attempting the '3 peaks challenge' this year (Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike & Snowdon !), & having been an avid TomTom user on my PPC I am also interested in extending this capability to walking !

I'm mindful that I may be better off with a dedicated device (better battery life, more rugged), but since I use Bluetooth (fortuna clip-on) receiver plus Dell Axim, my existing h/w could probably suffice !

I too would want to be able to plot a route (or has anyone already plotted these major hills, you know, the 'easy' tourist paths !!??). Is memory map easy to use ?!

Any help & recommendations welcomed !
cheers
Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: