Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman languages and general help... Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman languages and general help... Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Navman languages and general help... Please Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am yet another newbie and I’m confused… PLEASE help!

I ‘promise’ I have spent over three hours searching for answers in the forum (great forums btw). I will admit that perhaps I have missed some posts, but I have also become unsure on what is the latest and what might be superseded information.

I want to purchase a Navman Bluetooth/GPS/Mapping solution for use with my Dell Axim X3i.

I live in Spain where it will be put to most use, with occasional ventures in the rest of Europe and UK… mainly for ‘in-car’.

Can anyone offer any advice in general and in specific on the following questions that have come up during my internet searches:-

I have seen the Navman BT gps unit advertised in the following guises… 4100, 4410, 4420. They all look the same, but ‘some’, not all, seem to differ in the software bundle. Are these all the same hardware and if so what are the software differences? I’m only talking about Navman’s own software, not 3rd party.

It seems that SmartST has or is about to be updated from V2 to V3. Perhaps this is obvious, but is/will V3 be a big improvement and should I seek this out/wait for release, or if I by V2 will there be a cost effective upgrade?

I assume, again from what I read, that SmartST maps come in ‘Street Level’ and ‘Base’ versions and I assume this refers to the level of detail. I obviously need the high level for my normal location (Spain) and I “think” that I would prefer to have the high level for the rest of Europe/UK, but opinions would be appreciated. On the other hand is it possible and ,again, cost effective to buy selective area maps at a later date? This is something I have not been able to find on the net… pricing/availability of additional maps… can I find details/prices?

Lastly, Navman’s website will take me to their Spanish distributor (Crambo, I think they are called). In all honesty, I am not very good at the Spanish language and this is adding more to my confusion in as much as they list a package (model 4420 at 312 euros), with Spain/Portugal/Andorra mapping, which might be a good starter for me, but the specs say that the voice prompts are in Spanish. Is the language selectable on installation, or will I need to buy in the UK to get an English language version (incl. manuals etc).

My apologies for such a long message, but I would truly appreciate any assistance.

Happy holidays and coming year to all.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken-ES wrote:
I have seen the Navman BT gps unit advertised in the following guises… 4100, 4410, 4420. They all look the same, but ‘some’, not all, seem to differ in the software bundle. Are these all the same hardware and if so what are the software differences? I’m only talking about Navman’s own software, not 3rd party.

Yes, the hardware in all the above is the same, the Bluetooth 4100 receiver.
The differences are the software...
4400 is SmartSTv1
4410 is SmartSTv2 Europe maps
4420 is SmartSTv3 Single region map (e.g. UK or in your case Iberia) + Base map of europe

Ken-ES wrote:
It seems that SmartST has or is about to be updated from V2 to V3. Perhaps this is obvious, but is/will V3 be a big improvement and should I seek this out/wait for release, or if I by V2 will there be a cost effective upgrade?

The new v3 software for the PocketPC is on general release in January. It is a marked improvement over earlier versions.
As for cost-effective upgrades... I would wait until January and purchase the full Europe maps with v3 as this will be much cheaper than purchasing a single region then buying others as needed.

Ken-ES wrote:
I assume, again from what I read, that SmartST maps come in ‘Street Level’ and ‘Base’ versions and I assume this refers to the level of detail. I obviously need the high level for my normal location (Spain) and I “think” that I would prefer to have the high level for the rest of Europe/UK, but opinions would be appreciated. On the other hand is it possible and ,again, cost effective to buy selective area maps at a later date? This is something I have not been able to find on the net… pricing/availability of additional maps… can I find details/prices?

If you purchase a single region then the rest of Europe is given as Base Maps i.e. major routes only. The region purchased will be street level.

As for buying in Spain I cannot really suggest what is best.
If you want English language you may have to buy the UK version which means with v3 you will get UK maps so to get Spain you will need to buy an additional unlock key.

Alternatively you could get v2 with full europe and then upgrade to v3 next year but this will cost an additional £79 for the v3 software and one updated map region.

If you have any more queries just ask.
More info can be found here.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having checked the installation instructions, you can specify your preferred language when installing the desktop. I am not sure if this applies for the voice prompts though on the GPS device.
I would check with Navman before purchasing to be sure.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

Thanks very much for the info... excellent forums. That has helped me a lot.

Just wondering if I can clarify a few points:-

icsys wrote:
… The differences are the software...
4400 is SmartSTv1
4410 is SmartSTv2 Europe maps
4420 is SmartSTv3 Single region map (e.g. UK or in your case Iberia) + Base map of europe

Is there a separate package/model number that covers the full maps for Europe, or will this be announced with the release of SmartSTv3?

I have also come across mention of SmartST “PRO”. Is this just another description of the of the same software or is there another version above/different from the ‘base’ & ‘street level’ versions?

icsys wrote:
… As for cost-effective upgrades... I would wait until January and purchase the full Europe maps with v3 as this will be much cheaper than purchasing a single region then buying others as needed.

Is there usually a wait after release. I am wondering if I need to get onto some kind of pre-order list.

icsys wrote:
… As for buying in Spain I cannot really suggest what is best.
If you want English language you may have to buy the UK version …

I hope this isn’t violating any forum rules, but ‘if’ I do have to order from the UK (to get English language), could anyone suggest a good retailer or is it better to purchase through the Navman on-line shop?

icsys wrote:
Having checked the installation instructions, you can specify your preferred language when installing the desktop. I am not sure if this applies for the voice prompts though on the GPS device.
I would check with Navman before purchasing to be sure.

Having read a few pros/cons about Navman support on the forum, are they usually helpful. Should I look for their e-mail or do they take phone calls.

This is a real cheeky question!... but does anyone know if a place called ‘Aguas de Busot’ (Alicante region – Spain) appears on the SmartST maps?

Thanks again,
Ken.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the Navman experience to answer your wonderfully clear set of questions - I just wanted to reassure you over one point.

Ken-ES wrote:
I hope this isn’t violating any forum rules, but ‘if’ I do have to order from the UK (to get English language), could anyone suggest a good retailer or is it better to purchase through the Navman on-line shop?

The Pocket GPS World forums are independent, although we accept advertising from sponsor companies to help defray the costs of running the site. It's always OK to ask about possible suppliers of products. It helps the site if you click the links to the right and check the sites of our sponsors, but I regularly recommend suppliers other than our sponsors for various products.

David
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply.

DavidW wrote:
... I just wanted to reassure you over one point.

The Pocket GPS World forums are independent...

That is nice to know and validates even further the comments about some of the retailers.

As it happens, I noticed that one particular company appears to take a very active interest in these forums and the customer comments. So.. Wink .. I took the oppurtunity of sending an e-mail to the 'boss' of this company.

I think the UK is still on holiday, but.. I got a reply already. On top of that, he has answered in a positive way, regarding something that is not in their normal terms and conditions. You just can't ask for better than that and I am going to try to put my business their way, even (my problem, not the companies) if it costs me a bit more.

Anyway, as a moderator.. thank you for the forums. I am still working through the many posts and the wealth of information here.

Ken.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken-ES wrote:
This is a real cheeky question!... but does anyone know if a place called ‘Aguas de Busot’ (Alicante region – Spain) appears on the SmartST maps?

There is a place named purely Busot which is just north of Alicante. Is that the place? There are lots of roads, but none appear to have names!
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

Tim Buxton wrote:
There is a place named purely Busot which is just north of Alicante. Is that the place? There are lots of roads, but none appear to have names!

Thanks for looking. Aguas de Busot is about another 5km North of Busot. There may (or not) be Banos de Busot.. which is right on the outskirts of Aguas de Busot. Also the road number running through the village is CV775 (ex N781- 3 yrs ago).

Out of curiousity.. what happens to mapping/routing if you happen to start from a place/road that isn't on the maps ! ???.

Ken.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the CV 775 which runs from the CV770 just north of Orxeta. The 775 just misses Relleu and passes through Aigues and then to Campello.

One of two things could happen if you start from somewhere not on the map. Either your icon would 'snap to' the nearest road (a function of map-matching which I don't think you can disable) or if you are too far away for the software to map-match then you will just get a message to go to the nearest road.
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
I found the CV 775 which runs from the CV770 just north of Orxeta. The 775 just misses Relleu and passes through Aigues and then to Campello.

Thanks Tim. That is indeed the correct road. The difference in spelling, Aguas/Aigues (or really correctly.. Aigües), is the variation between Castellano and Valencian Spanish, but it is the same place.

Tim Buxton wrote:
One of two things could happen if you start from somewhere not on the map. Either your icon would 'snap to' the nearest road (a function of map-matching which I don't think you can disable) or if you are too far away for the software to map-match then you will just get a message to go to the nearest road.

Thanks again, understood. I am getting quiet keen to buy a 'system' and try all this stuff out.

Ken.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spelling on the maps and in the Search database is Aigües.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: